Changing to enclosed gear cables

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
After a recent dusty ride I have been wondering about when/if my next bike build starts is whether to opt for fully enclosed gear cables; running the outer from gear lever right to derailleur.

I have metres of SP-41 !!! XTR outer

The biggest problem I foresee is running the outer cable through frame lugs which normally stop the ends of the outer cable in order for the inner to be pulled through.

Has anyone ever converted to enclosed outer gear cables and drilled frame lugs ?

Does anyone foresee any gear changing issues by running outer from lever to derailleur ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get the bolt on converters. drilling out is a pain. not easy to do and leaves rattly cables.

or just use stainless inners and outers and service regularly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    nicklouse wrote:
    get the bolt on converters. drilling out is a pain. not easy to do and leaves rattly cables.

or just use stainless inners and outers and service regularly.

Which bolt on conversions are these I've been looking for ages and have only come across the ones for brake hoses rather than cables, which don't work well with gear cable outers, or is it a case of wrappin old inner tube around them the pack it out?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    M Part do a bolt on converter which is for cables i think, if not would still be able to use if need be use electrical tape that matches your outer's to pack it out slighty.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I just zip tie the outers to the cablestops. Doesn't look as 'aero' but you don't notice it once it gets muddy.

Drilling out the stops may invalidate any warranty on the frame. This is why I experimented with the cable ties.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • iasgair
    iasgair Posts: 7
    Why not just buy some Gore rideon sealed cables? you get the sealed from the elements benefits and don't have to mess with your bike frame?
    If you decide you don't like them you can always switch back, it's less hassle than undrilling your frame!
    http://www.rideoncables.com/en_us/products/index.html
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    One more vote for "Gore Ride On" Just fitted them to my bike so slick it's untrue. Just watch the video on the web site for fitting and you can't go wrong.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Jagwire do a conversion kit too
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    What about Goodridge? they do a sealed kit, and its far cheaper than the Gore kits
    6853_l.jpg
    Used it on all my bikes

Nice thick outers and the blue tubing seals between the cable stops
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er