Triathlon - Open Road

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
My local council have organised a Triathlon next weekend to coincide with the opening of a new leisure centre. I entered a month ago (incuding having to purchase a British Tri Ass. one day licence).

They have just disclosed that the cycle will be on open roads in the Borough ( a busy Borough) and if the traffic lights are red you stop ("it's just a case of luck" the lady on the phone said).

I don't think this is safe, think how many will be jumping reds. I also can't believe the BTA have agreed to this, especially as they are encouraging newcomers to take part.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster, I'm thinking of airing my views and suggesting that the event is unsafe. How can you organise a race...but you can't race because of traffic lights? Traffic I can handle (I TT so it's normal business), but lights??

Any thoughts?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've done a few and most of them are on open roads and the TT I did at the weekend had lights on it.

It's not so bad.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • essex-commuter
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've done a few and most of them are on open roads and the TT I did at the weekend had lights on it.

It's not so bad.

I've TT'd on a course with lights before but only ped lights or temporary ones. This couse crosses major junctions and cross roads, it just seems wrong...and a bit pointless.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Sounds a bit ill thought out as its a 1 off event but it can't be a big enough to warrant closing the roads. The event sounds like more of a fun run than one for the more hardcore who care out finish times.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I don't do triathlons so don't know the specific rules, but I agree with essex-commuter that holding a race on open roads is pretty silly.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Asprilla wrote:

It's not so bad.

+1.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    they will have marshalls on the points with lights (at least they should do), you jump them then you are DQd. its as simple as that. same with drafting.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    kelsen wrote:
    I don't do triathlons so don't know the specific rules, but I agree with essex-commuter that holding a race on open roads is pretty silly.

It's difficult to find a location where you can have a 20, 40 or 80k route on closed roads. The only place I know that can accommodate is Dorney lake and that's only a 5km loop so it gets a bit boring after the third time around.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • essex-commuter
    Good comments, guess I'm just a bit pee'd that I've been training till me eyes bleed with this event in mind and now there is a chance that I will be stopped at a red and when they change some Fred will bounce past me on a 80 quid full suss!

:twisted:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Asprilla wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

It's difficult to find a location where you can have a 20, 40 or 80k route on closed roads. The only place I know that can accommodate is Dorney lake and that's only a 5km loop so it gets a bit boring after the third time around.
    Blenheim Palace
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't worry, you should catch him again in 5 seconds....

Seriously, all they need to do is get onto the Police to get there PCSO's out to do something useful (for one.....), under the PRA most now have the authority to stop traffic, so they can stop crossing traffic and wave cyclists through.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    spasypaddy wrote:
    they will have marshalls on the points with lights (at least they should do), you jump them then you are DQd. its as simple as that. same with drafting.

i never draft traffic lights & certainly not red ones
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    This section of the A516 between the A50 and Mickleover (left to right as you see it) is commonly used as a time trial section. They loop around the far left roundabout under the A50 and up off the A516 round the roundabout and back down again at Mickleover.

You see them tanking up and down here most weekends, and occasional evenings... I got told to "get the f*** out the way" by one of them when I was commuting home one night.

Arrogant tosser.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    This section of the A516 between the A50 and Mickleover (left to right as you see it) is commonly used as a time trial section. They loop around the far left roundabout under the A50 and up off the A516 round the roundabout and back down again at Mickleover.

You see them tanking up and down here most weekends, and occasional evenings... I got told to "get the f*** out the way" by one of them when I was commuting home one night.
    Arrogant tosser.

Think the shock of hearing such language would possibly have caused me to swerve possibly into the way of say an arrogant time trialist slowing him down
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My "commute" route is used by the local cycling club as their TT route. But the odd occasion there has been someone doing some training when I've been out they've been quite friendly and given a quick hello as they've zoomed past.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spen666 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

i never draft traffic lights & certainly not red ones
    eh?