How do I get in to cyclocross - help!!

ColMc100
ColMc100 Posts: 21
edited August 2011 in Amateur race
hi all

I'm an overweight, seriiously amateur fitness/commute rider of many, many years. I've done mountain biking in the past, but injuries have left me unable to do the technical sections any more, so I thought I'd give cyclocross a go. Seems like a good blend of the dirt and fun of mtb and the speed of road racing (I don't really ride road bikes!).

unfortunately - short of just getting a cx bike and finding my own routes I'm serously lacking in info about local routes/races and there do not really seem to be any clubs near me that I could look to for help. Any suggestions about how to get started or if you know of any clubs near me in Runcorn, Cheshire.

Much appreciated!

Col

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Have a look here http://www.nwcca.org.uk/calendar/

Should get you started.

You can normally enter the races on the line and mountain bikes are acceptable(but slower) in regional events. If you like it buy a CX bike and away you go.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross

The league that Mike has given the link to might have some novice (go race) races to start out in if you don't want to race for the whole hour. Also use the BC website to find a club that you can join, hopefully they'll have some CX coaching too.
  • ColMc100
    ColMc100 Posts: 21
    Thanks fellas

I've had a look at both of these and very useful. I guess I'll just email the nearest clubs and see if they can help out.

I might even buy a cx bike, though I've never ridden drop handles before!! Any suggestions for a bike under £1k would be great too.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Col,
    I believe the Cannondale CX bike comes in at £999 for the coming season :wink:
  • It would be nice if there was a facility to hire CX bikes at the race. Cant justify buying a cx bike.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Unless you are aiming at the top end Col the majority of CX bikes come in at less than £1k.

Benjamin - our local BC coaches turn up to our local league with a load of CX bikes that you can borrow for the race. Worth checking to see if anyone in your local league does a similar thing.
  • ah, that sounds interesting. I'l look into it. Cheers
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    cx bike

lycra

get used to front wheel washout braking on steep muddy downhills
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    it really is as simple as turning up and riding - just need a bike or see if you can borrow one from the BC guys if they offer that service.

My club run a weekly CX session which I attended a few times but had never really done anything like a CX event until my 1st race, but was made pretty welcome and there are always people at your level to stick with.

I got a 2nd hand CX bike through this forum last year and did just that - raced a few events and had a (absolutely bloody knackering) blast. Its a seriously tough event though and the nickname 'hour of pain' is well deserved...but you can have a laugh as well 8)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...