How do I get in to cyclocross - help!!

ColMc100
ColMc100 Posts: 21
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
hi all

I'm an overweight, seriiously amateur fitness/commute rider of many, many years. I've done mountain biking in the past, but injuries have left me unable to do the technical sections any more, so I thought I'd give cyclocross a go. Seems like a good blend of the dirt and fun of mtb and the speed of road racing (I don't really ride road bikes!).

unfortunately - short of just getting a cx bike and finding my own routes I'm serously lacking in info about local routes/races and there do not really seem to be any clubs near me that I could look to for help. Any suggestions about how to get started or if you know of any clubs near me in Runcorn, Cheshire.

Much appreciated!

Col

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    All CX events are listed on the British Cycling website, events calendar. You can search for local clubs too. The season typically starts September and runs to January, however summer CX is getting more popular so you may find some locally. Most local league events are EOL - Entry On Line which means you simply turn up, pay and sign-on. CX is good because it's accessible to all, and you still feel you're in the race even after you've been lapped.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..