BOLT out of the blue

Time.to.ride
Time.to.ride Posts: 463
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just brought a new set of Mavic Crossride wheels and i run avid brakes i have noticed one of the Rotor bolts just seems to keep turning, the other five are fine but i dont want to keep turning the bolt incase i ruin the thread i goes into or split it, any reason why this is happening guys??

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sounds like it's de-threaded. Can you get the bolt out?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the thread is already stripped.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Time.to.ride
    Wheels are brand new though? any way of fixing this and if not will my wheel and brake still be ok?
  • nicklouse
    Wheels are brand new though? any way of fixing this and if not will my wheel and brake still be ok?

in that case have a look at the problem hole and bolt and see what is going on.

the hub maybe faulty, you may have FUBARED it or it may just be a damaged/incorrect bolt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607

I've a rear Shimano hub with the same issue. From new only 5 bolts would do up tight. The other 1 will screw in and out OK but will never tighten. Tried all sorts of different bolts but it makes no difference. I just stick a bit of Loctite 243 thread lock to stop the bolt coming loose.

Not caused me any issues.

• Time.to.ride
    thanks mate where can i get tht from any diy shop
  • flet©h
    flet©h Posts: 88
    I have the same issue with my Crossrides (and avid rotors although I'm sure that makes no difference). I had assumed it was because they we second hand and the previous owner had overtightened the bolts. 5 tight bolts and a bit of Loctite on the 6th hasn't killed me yet.
  • 101_North
    thanks mate where can i get tht from any diy shop

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCTITE-243-LOCK- ... 3369870cd3

Only 3ml but it'll last for ages as you're only putting a small amount on the bolt - or put a drop in the offending hole in the hub and tighten the bolt as much as it'll go. Leave it to dry and you're good to go. If you need to remove the bolt at any point the Loctite will break away with a wee bit of pressure.

• sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    +1 for locatite. I'd do it a standard for all of the bolts. I went through a phase with a pair of avid rotors on hope hubs where the bolts kept 'working their way out' and i ended a few rides with only 3 bolts left!
  • Time.to.ride
    Thanks guys so i take it i will be safe wit hthe one bolt not tight tht much and five are rock solid??
  • nicklouse
    so what is the issue? is there any thread in the hole? has it been cut? has it been stripped? what condition is the bolt? have you tried any other bolts?
  • This happened to me with some Crossrides, except it was nearly all of the bolts. I had to use Heli Coil inserts in the end.

http://www.helicoil.com.sg/HeliCoil-Ins ... ctions.htm
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • Time.to.ride
    I have tried another bolt NIck, and there is thread in the hole and its fine, it just did the same thing it goes so far and then if i keep tightning it it goes loose again unlike the other ones which remain tight !
    I will just put up with it i think,the rest are as tight as can be so i hope its ok and as for the original bolt tht is tight in another hole so i am puzzled mate lol
  • 101_North
    It'll be fine. Not caused me any bother - the loctite'll make sure the bolt doesn't work itself loose. It's not really doing anything though so keeping it there is simply cosmetic. You could just leave it out. Some peope have been known to run with only 3 bolts to save weight (??) so it'll be grand with 5.

• nicklouse
    I have tried another bolt NIck, and there is thread in the hole and its fine, it just did the same thing it goes so far and then if i keep tightning it it goes loose again unlike the other ones which remain tight !
    I will just put up with it i think,the rest are as tight as can be so i hope its ok and as for the original bolt tht is tight in another hole so i am puzzled mate lol

have you tried one of the bolts that is good?

as either you have a lot of stripped bolts or the thread in the hole is stripped or it/they are not the same size unlikely.

So that comes down to stripped/oversize hole.

you say they are new I would be sending them back.
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    nicklouse wrote:
    So that comes down to stripped/oversize hole.

you say they are new I would be sending them back.

+1 to both comments. Yes, I know that actually you don;t need all 6 bolts, and that 5 would be fine, but if it's defective, it's defective; you don't know how good the other 5 threads are.

From a manufacturing POV, I guess if the bolt holes are all tapped concurrently, it is possible that there was a problem with one tap, which would give the symptoms you're describing. Just a theory though - as I don't work for Mavic, I don't know anything about their specific processes.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • Time.to.ride
    I did already say nick in last comment tht i had swapped bolts around and the bolt i removed from the "prob hole is fine in another hole but the bolt which i put into the original hole has same issue as original one. But i am very confussed as the thread in prob hole is fine have checked it at both end and all appears ok, maybe it is a freaky fault ??? Who knows !

Ps i would send them back but i have no spare wheels and Merlin Cycles ( who i purchased them from) said if they find no prob they will do nothing about it, they dont seem to want to help tht much was very dissmisive that it could be a manufacture fault and were more or less saying it was me who had caused it couldnt poss be their error lol lol !!!!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Sounds like a hub fault if the bolt fits another hole with no issue, if your not sending them back and your worried about the loose bolt, you could try retapping the hole with the same size thread and see if that works.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Time.to.ride
    hmm might give that a go mate cheers.
  • Russ-Tyson
    Russ-Tyson Posts: 44
    how much does the bolt go through the hub with the disc fitted? does it stick out the otherside? if not try a longer bolt and try to pick up on some thread further in the hole.

Another method may help is put a small amount of PTFE tape on the bolt threads then try it in the hub.