Permanent way to make tyre fitting easier?

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just off to Morzine with Miss Notax :D

Trying to fit downhill wire bead tyres to my Mavic Crossmax SX wheels for the first time - nightmare :oops:

In the past I've managed with water and washing up liquid but these are still miles off fitting. Even if I can fit them at home eventually, removing a tyre on the trail will be a nightmare - any ideas? The SX are tubeless ready and have a fairly rough surface which doesn't help, is there some sort of grease or lube I can use?

One of my other bikes has Mavic SLs and never had the same issue with those :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    watch the fitting a Marathon tyre on You tube. you just need a refresher on how to fit a tyre.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • notax
    nicklouse wrote:
    watch the fitting a Marathon tyre on You tube. you just need a refresher on how to fit a tyre.

:wink:

Thanks, will do when I get a chance - maybe I'm just getting old and feeble - its all that energy I spend trying to keep up with Miss Notax :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i have isues with my DH tyres took two of us with standard tyre levels, Nipped to my local bike shop got some park tool levels that were about 10" long, now its a doddle :P
  • The trick is to get the tyre deep into the well of the rim on the opposite side to the final part of the bead your trying to pop in.

Beardy Marathon tyre experience right hurr
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Some rims are just a PITA, the Sun Ringle MTX31 I've got is so hard to put a tyre on it's ridiculous, but on every other wheel I've owned I don't even need levers? I use some tyre soap (from the moto days) to help with this rim, but longer metal levers and good technique are the best you can hope for and it will sti be a pain, iirc there is a tool you can get.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • notax
    Thanks for the replies - I've tried seating the tyres in the centre of the rim (the only way you can get any tyre to fit on these rims in my experience) and have avoided using metal tyre levers as I didn't want to trash my pimpy wheels - but I accept it may be the only way :?

The Moto X soap idea is interesting as I guess this would leave some residue that I could wet with the Camelback if need to remove a tyre on the trail :idea:

I'll pop into my LBS on the way home and see what I can pick up. Thanks again 8)