Is this true?

evernas
evernas Posts: 43
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Hi there.I have read on some forums that original pads not squealing at all or just a bit compared to other brands - for example Shimano to Kool Stop?Is this true or is urban legends?Thank you
Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all brake pads can make noises.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Rim brakes or disc brakes? Rim brakes tend to squeal if they are not 'toe-in' properly (the front of the pad should hit the rim just before the rear of hte pad...stops about 99% of all rim-brake pad squeaks.

Disc brakes is a whole different kettle of sushi - pad temperature/rotor temperature/how clean/dusty...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DickBarton wrote:
    Disc brakes is a whole different kettle of sushi - pad temperature/rotor temperature/how clean/dusty...
    And cycles of the moon, and the alignment of the stars.

All disc brakes make noises from time to time. In fact, in the middle of the night, when it's really silent, you can hear them whispering to you. Telling you things. Telling you to kill them. Kill them all.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    DickBarton wrote:
    And cycles of the moon, and the alignment of the stars.

All disc brakes make noises from time to time. In fact, in the middle of the night, when it's really silent, you can hear them whispering to you. Telling you things. Telling you to kill them. Kill them all.

:lol:
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    i personally find the high frequency warbling sound (like a turkey being inter-feared with) that occurs with absolutely no rhyme or reason not only stangley soothing but very useful alerting walkers to your presence, driving dogs crazy for miles around and scaring away other turkeys (they follow you you know.... especially at Christmas)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    ... (like a turkey being inter-feared with) ...

That is funny on so many levels! :D
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    And to answer the op with an actual example, my Shimano XT brakes made the previously mentioned turkey being raped noise when used with Superstar rotors and pads. Completly silent with oe parts. I now only use shimano. Works for me.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    ... (like a turkey being inter-feared with) ...

That is funny on so many levels! :D

Im more concerned with how he knows what a turkey being abused sounds like????eewwwww
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Anonymous
    I'm a little concerned that you DON'T know the sound of a turkey being abused :lol:
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I'm a little concerned that you DON'T know the sound of a turkey being abused :lol:

Me too, he's obviously gagging them.. Pervert!
    "Coming through..."
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    As much as I enjoy doing rude things with birds, Ive drawn the line at the feathered variety up to know, perhaps I should indulge? Any you'd recommend? Aside from turkeys?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    DickBarton wrote:
    Rim brakes or disc brakes? Rim brakes tend to squeal if they are not 'toe-in' properly (the front of the pad should hit the rim just before the rear of hte pad...stops about 99% of all rim-brake pad squeaks.

I've found that not to be true with asymmetric cartridge pads (ie XT/XTR spec with one side longer than other relative to mounting thread) on my bike. Zero toe, silent braking.
    "Coming through..."
  • Anonymous
    Tom Howard wrote:
    As much as I enjoy doing rude things with birds, Ive drawn the line at the feathered variety up to know, perhaps I should indulge? Any you'd recommend? Aside from turkeys?
    There's some guy here called Pasty or something - he's obsessed. You should be asking him, really.