Eurosport HD picture quality

campagone
campagone Posts: 270
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Is it just my eyes or tv, or is the picture quality not as good this year. I remember when I got my HD set a couple of years back it totally blew me away and last year was good, but this year it just seems that at times its not as good. In particular the long range podium shots are terrible, it looks like its filmed with a standard definition camera, when they show the close up shot it get's better. Also the helicopter shots dont look as sharp either. And Carlton Kirby keeps banging on about how good the picture looks in HD.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yeah I agree. The picture on ITV 4 HD is excellent, so maybe it's Eurosport rather than the people providing the pictures? It's still better than SD, obviously, but it's a bit underwhelming compared to other HD stuff I watch.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I've felt the same, though I wondered if it was due to the fact that the weather has been so crap and that France just looked a bit grey!

I've also noticed that on certain days the ITV4HD picture was definitely not in HD....I asked them on twitter but got no response.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've only been watching ITV4 this year and not noticed it going SD at all ?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Definitely not as good as last year, there was one bit that looked really good but the rest hasn't looked half as good. I've noticed the native HD logo isn't in theft corner this year, is it not then? Or do they not bother with the logo. Might ask on Twitter see if we het a response.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I have Virgin so don't get itv4 HD but I have to say that the standard definition itv4 looks just a smidge better than ESHD ... More clarity on the trees and more lifelike greens ...

Nothing is as bad as standard def. ES though ... As soon as they launched ESHD they seemed to purposely cut the quality of the SD channel ... Although the main reason i pay for the Virgin XL package is to get ESHD as it often has extra coverage from international ES ...

Strangely the Tour of Switzerland has had the best pictur so far this year and as far as I know wasn't filmed in HD ...

EDIT: Today's itv4 picture is god awful ... Weather and lighti most likely ...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Count yourself lucky you can get ITV4.
  • Not sure what you lot are on about. I watched Eurosport HD on Saturday and the pictures & quality were exactly the same as ITV4 HD. I flicked between the two on numerous occasions and every time the image was exactly the same. I also switched between HD & SD and the difference was extraordinary.

Surely all broadcasters get the same images? They might have a choice of different cameras at any one time, but all the pictures will be the same quality. Each broadcaster doesn't have their own cameras en route.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Have to admit it did seem better at the weekend, Myabe I'm just getting too used to it. Need to up my dose.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017