Can you help me with a weight question please?!

Pollyerrington
Pollyerrington Posts: 32
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
I have been cycling for the past year, mainly road but with a few footpaths and bridleways thrown in.

My lovely Giant got stolen 3 months ago, and as I was skint I got a Carrera Vulcan.

I must say I'm not enjoying it, and I'm not sure whether it's down to the weight of 15kg...

I'm struggling mostly on hills, and they really ruin my enjoyment of the ride as I feel like I'm cycling through treacle.

I'm using my gears correctly (although they are a bit clunky)

I've looked at getting a Rockhopper which is 12kg. Would 3 kg make much of a difference to my speed and the hills I'm tackling?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    New tyres. That could save a kilo from where it really counts. Oh and make sure you're riding with your saddle at the right height.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    benpinnick wrote:
    New tyres. That could save a kilo from where it really counts. Oh and make sure you're riding with your saddle at the right height.

+1

Tyres make a huge difference, if you know the ones that where on your old bike try putting them on and see if helps.

Loosing 3kg from the bike as a whole certainly wouldnt make life harder but try the cheaper option first.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Is the gearing the same as your old bike?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mbhuw
    mbhuw Posts: 79
    Like the other guys said, try and lose some weight from your bike, it seems a waste to buy a new one all be it that its quite heavy!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You should invest in something like these -

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCRCKRF/schwalbe-rocket-ron-performance-folding-tyre

as you will find that every bit saved from your tyres will massively enhance the ride of the bike. Also, a quick rolling tread will eliminate a lot of the treacle feel. After that its wheels and then forks. After that, its equipment, but I would replace that as you break it, no point shelling out before.

Try taking the wheels and tyres off the bike and weighing them (kitchen scales work ok for this, preferable if its electronic) and post the weights here for us to comment on. As a rough guess, I expect that tyres will be c. 900g each (versus 500 for a decent one) and 2.5kg on the wheels versus around 1900g for good (but basic) ones. Thats 1.4kg on rotating weight alone. You could also save nearly 200g on tubes too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.