What next... (spoiler)

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited July 2011 in Pro race
... for Samuel Sanchez - do you think he should aim for high GC classification or the KoM jersey and maybe another stage win?

I'd like him to go for the KoM prize, it would be good to see an Olympic champion aiming for the polka dots, as the competition has become a bit marginalised recently.

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I don't see why he can't do both, he looked in very good form with his win today.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I don't see why he can't do both, he looked in very good form with his win today.

The question is actually a trojan horse for the debate of whether the KoM jersey is better than, say, a place on the podium or in the top 5.

That is why I didn't give the "Both" option.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Hope he goes for the KoM jersey- high time it achieved greater importance.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    He can't TT like Cuddles or Bertie, but then, neither can any of the others. Dunno.

Cuddles might just win the GC.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    johnfinch wrote:

The question is actually a trojan horse for the debate of whether the KoM jersey is better than, say, a place on the podium or in the top 5.

That is why I didn't give the "Both" option.

The changes to the points system have given it much greater weight imo, still not as much as a podium finish though. I do feel it has changed for the better and is now actually a proper climbers jersey.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    KOM.

You know it makes sense.

Problem is, riders who can really climb find it tough to not be greedy and consciously lose a lot of time to give them freedom when the road points upwards.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Problem is, riders who can really climb find it tough to not be greedy and consciously lose a lot of time to give them freedom when the road points upwards.

Rather ironically they'd probably be better off with a more traditional format with two long time trials where they are bound to lose time, therefore the KOM would be all they have to go for.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Rather ironically they'd probably be better off with a more traditional format with two long time trials where they are bound to lose time, therefore the KOM would be all they have to go for.

That, my friend, is an excellent point.