Thrown out of Poundland

2»

Comments

• It's 25 degrees. The missus is wearing tiny denim shorts. She bent over the freezer to get some burgers out and I couldn't help myslef, took her there and then, rutting in a frenzy.

We both got thrown out of Waitrose.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I have to say that I don't see any of the shops mentioned above being unreasonable at all. If you want to cycle to the shops then bring a lock and behave yourself instead of expecting the world to revolve around you.

Shops know that once one idiot comes in with a bike then it is open season, and whilst some of the posters here might be sensible there are a lot who will be nothing but an antisocial pain. Bad enough waiting for some idiot to find their wallet (despite being in the queue for ages) whilst talking on their phone and attempting to load their bags without chucking a bike into the equation.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Especially if they go straight past the traffic light lollipops without stopping
  • I'm surprised anyone would simply wheel their bike into a shop without having the sense and courtesy to ask permission first! Unlike a pram, it's a road vehicle (regardless of where you actually ride it) and it's unreasonable to automatically expect a retailer to allow it in.

One person's bike may be spotlessly clean but many others could be wet or have had too much oil ion the chain which could then make the floor dangerous if it drips off. A pram shold remain upright if you leave it for a moment to pick something up. A bike could fall over and cause injury or obstruction. I've probably only once asked to take a bike into a shop and was allowed to do so, but I wouldn't have complained if the answer was no, even if I wasn't happy about it.

Who knows, maybe if the OP had asked (rather than just nodding to the security guard) the answer might have been yes. If not, well that's just life.

If I expect to be going into a shop, I'll carry a lock and if I don't have a lock I'll just have to hope the shop is sympathetic.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    mossychops wrote:
    Manager "No one will nick it, this is Stratford"

I worry about people nicking my bike/shoes/watch/bag when I'm sitting on my bike as I go through Stratford :shock:

Makes me wonder in the manager just drives into the Stratford centre, goes down on the lift goes to work, eats lunch at his desk, gets back in the life to his car and drives to a remote village in the north west of Scotland where no one locks their doors and everyone speaks to each other.....That really doesn't sound like East London to me :D

btw have you see the pound shop at the top of Leytonstone which has the sign on the front:

Pound shop
    Everything 99p or less!
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I would never think about taking my bike into a shop, BUT, I've been in my local ASDA a few times and on occasions there have been people (kids and adults) pushing their bikes up and down the aisles.

Here's an idea, why not have an area (especially with big supermarkets) where you can park your bike (inside the store) and use one of their locks (supplied by the closely seated security guard) . :)

Makes the supermarket look enviro friendly .

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    edited July 2011
    Some people will honestly argue anything. I reckon if I start a thread saying I dont like drowning puppies some of them will chip in and say it is actually a good idea.

The bike was clean, I am not an idiot, I did make eye contact with the security guard on the way in to see if he said anything and it was a 47 mile bike ride to Stratford so no I didnt have a heavy lock. The idea that several people will see me with a bike in a shop and then run out and all bring their bikes in is rediculous and hasn't happened in the Sainsbury's next door where I bought my drink.

Perhaps if anyone argueing can actually give a specific problem that a clean bike could cause in an open enough space they might like to put it forward. I wouldn't take a bike into a carpeted shop (as this will make the carpet dirty) or one with tight spaces etc

The point of the thread was to laugh at the idea of someone walking passed my unlocked bike on the street and then going into Poundland and stealing something warranting a security guard. I dont mind being asked to leave and didnt argue with them. Most shops are pleasant enough and customer friendly enough to let me take my bike in and these shops will continue to get my custom.
  • mossychops
    [quote="AndyManc"

.[/quote]

Waitrose will lend you trailers for your bike to take your shopping home in apparently.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    AndyManc wrote:
    I would never think about taking my bike into a shop, BUT, I've been in my local ASDA a few times and on occasions there have been people (kids and adults) pushing their bikes up and down the aisles.

Here's an idea, why not have an area (especially with big supermarkets) where you can park your bike (inside the store) and use one of their locks (supplied by the closely seated security guard) . :)

Why not?

Because as soon as someone lost their bike to theft they would be suing the supermarket claiming they owed the bike owner a duty to care for their bike.

Sadly the litigious nature of people ensure this is unlikely to happen, even though it is a good idea in theory
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,015
    spen666 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

Why not?

Because as soon as someone lost their bike to theft they would be suing the supermarket claiming they owed the bike owner a duty to care for their bike.

Sadly the litigious nature of people ensure this is unlikely to happen, even though it is a good idea in theory
    I feel sure that a clearly displayed disclaimer would sort that out. Seems to work okay for car parks on private land.

Besides - I don't see how it is different in principle (but perhaps extent) to bicycle racks. For example, there are racks provided at stations which are covered by CCTV. Do you know of any cases where a rail company has been sued for theft from such a site? What about bike racks which have been removed from in front of shops in their entirity, complete with bicycles chained to them? Do cyclists have a cause of action against the shop?
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

Why not?

I feel sure that a clearly displayed disclaimer would sort that out. Seems to work okay for car parks on private land.

Besides - I don't see how it is different in principle (but perhaps extent) to bicycle racks. For example, there are racks provided at stations which are covered by CCTV. Do you know of any cases where a rail company has been sued for theft from such a site? What about bike racks which have been removed from in front of shops in their entirity, complete with bicycles chained to them? Do cyclists have a cause of action against the shop?
    Huge difference to cycle racks or car parks in this example is that you want supermarket to provide the locks and to provide security guard. This changes the dynamics and liability (potentially).
    Why are the locks provided? For decoration or for security? If for security and they do not secure your bike, then people are going to look to sue supermarket for inappropriate lock.
    Similar with security guard

Without them, you are back to cycle racks

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's a large Sainsbury's in Collier Wood (South London) that has a dedicated indoor bike lock area.

There's also always security gaurds about, not specificaly for the bikes but you would have to be a idiot to go in there and start cutting a bike lock in front of them.

If I'm out on my road bike I'll oftern stop there.

As for pushing bikes round shops. Not really a good idea. If you let one you have to let all and thinking of my local Sainsbur's in Balham it'd be a nightmare come 5:30pm when all the comuters are dropping in on there way home. It's bad enough without bikes in there.
  • First.Aspect
    RichardSwt wrote:
    There's a large Sainsbury's in Collier Wood (South London) that has a dedicated indoor bike lock area.

There's also always security gaurds about, not specificaly for the bikes but you would have to be a idiot to go in there and start cutting a bike lock in front of them.

As for pushing bikes round shops. Not really a good idea. If you let one you have to let all and thinking of my local Sainsbur's in Balham it'd be a nightmare come 5:30pm when all the comuters are dropping in on there way home. It's bad enough without bikes in there.
    Has anyone been sued yet? No?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    RichardSwt wrote:

Has anyone been sued yet? No?

Waste of time suing Poundland. The biggest payout they've ever made is........ go on have a guess.
  • If you pressed the point they could seize your bike.

Impoundland.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you pressed the point they could seize your bike.

Impoundland.

Touché ;)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Looking at the width of the aisles in our local Poundland I don't think you could get a bike down them without causing problems
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    25 years of cycling and the only shop I've taken my bike into is er, a bike shop.

Its weird taking it round any other shop and I'm not surprised they didnt allow you. I've clunked my shins on my own pedals so gormless shoppers wouldnt be expecting to look out for them in the aisle when they're looking for whatever it is you can buy for a quid.
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Just put your bike in a trolley and then wheel *that* around. Sorted. :wink:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I park my bike inside shops all the time. If someone asked that I didn't then I'd take it out. It's their shop after all but it's never been a problem. I don't walk it around though.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    mossychops wrote:
    Some people will honestly argue anything. I reckon if I start a thread saying I dont like drowning puppies some of them will chip in and say it is actually a good idea.

The bike was clean, I am not an idiot, I did make eye contact with the security guard on the way in to see if he said anything and it was a 47 mile bike ride to Stratford so no I didnt have a heavy lock. The idea that several people will see me with a bike in a shop and then run out and all bring their bikes in is rediculous and hasn't happened in the Sainsbury's next door where I bought my drink.

Perhaps if anyone argueing can actually give a specific problem that a clean bike could cause in an open enough space they might like to put it forward. I wouldn't take a bike into a carpeted shop (as this will make the carpet dirty) or one with tight spaces etc

The point of the thread was to laugh at the idea of someone walking passed my unlocked bike on the street and then going into Poundland and stealing something warranting a security guard. I dont mind being asked to leave and didnt argue with them. Most shops are pleasant enough and customer friendly enough to let me take my bike in and these shops will continue to get my custom.

Two points:

- 47 miles is a fair old trek just to go to poundland - its not that exciting a shop to be honest

- having made such a trek its a bit "cut your nose off...." to then not buy what you originally went for thus wasting the time it took to cycle 47 miles.

Mail order might be a better option for peole like you.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    I thought this thread was going to be about the op asking the shopkeeper how much every single thing costs and the shopkeeper getting pissed off.
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Jason82 wrote:
    I thought this thread was going to be about the op asking the shopkeeper how much every single thing costs and the shopkeeper getting pissed off.

four candles?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jason82
    Jason82 wrote:

four candles?

In a pack or not?
    FCN = 9
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Jason82 wrote:
    Jason82 wrote:

four candles?

In a pack or not?

joke <
    > you

:wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jason82
    Yep sorry been a long day and I have to ride home later after a 12hr shift I blame you lot with your shiny toys for making me an insane commuter.
    FCN = 9
  • mossychops
    I keep getting thrown out of Poundlands, the closest one that will let me in now is nearly 60 miles away. I might stop being so tight and paying the bit extra to get it from another shop in future.

"No, fork handles. Got any pumps?"
    "Track pump or hand pump"
    "Brown pumps, size 9"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    spen666 wrote:
    Huge difference to cycle racks or car parks in this example is that you want supermarket to provide the locks and to provide security guard. This changes the dynamics and liability (potentially).
    Why are the locks provided? For decoration or for security? If for security and they do not secure your bike, then people are going to look to sue supermarket for inappropriate lock.

Bike lockers at stations (and I'm sure other places) seem to work just fine.

Surely a "we give no guarantee as to the security of this lock, but if you don't have your own you can use it", the same as the lockers at gyms/swimming baths.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • First.Aspect
    bails87 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Surely a "we give no guarantee as to the security of this lock, but if you don't have your own you can use it", the same as the lockers at gyms/swimming baths.
    No, no, there is a legal subtelty that we are all missing.
  • spen666
    bails87 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Lockers at stations are totally different as:

1. you supply your own lock
    2. They do not have a security guard there to look after your bike

These are the proposals made earlier and this s what differentiates it from the lockers at the railway station

Twittering @spen_666