Calorie count

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Just finished a 45 mile ride (im not so hardcore as some on here so I'm quite pleased with that)

I used to use a Polar HRM which always seem to read very high calories, but now I have a Garmin.

I usually find that seems reasonable when the proper weight is entered for my bike and kit and I use the HRM, I forgot the strap today so checked the count on Endomondo and Cardio Trainer that I have running also:

Garmin: 2,701 calories
Cardio Trainer: 2,400 calories
Endomondo: 14,000

Anyone know the most accurate software to use for calorie count?

Comments

• janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    The calculations are just guesses. It depends on your speed, weight, wind, gradients, fitness level and much more. (Though about 2,700 kcal is roughly right for me, weighing in at 90 kg on 65 km flat route ridden at 35 km/h average speed.)

The unit on the 14000 is probably kJ, which would make it about 3346 kcal. This again might just be accurate for you, especially if you're pushing closer to 40 km/h.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • I ride at about 15-17mph for an 19miles each way at 18stone 13 when a i checked most say any about 1500 to 1800
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    It says 6546 calories now on Endomondo, maybe it corrected something or it looks at gradient afterwards maybe? Total ascent was nearly 2000ft (according to Garmin with barometer so should be accurate) Half that for Endomondo and 1366 for Cardio Trainer.

Im not all that fit or fast really, I weigh 85kg or so averaged about 11 mph (had to walk a bit cos Bikeroute toaster took me across a couple of fields and went into Poundland (different post)).

It's quite annoying really, I know it's not all that important etc but you spend £350 on a device that counts calories and has a heart rate monitor, you want it to be accurate.
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    The calorie counting is just a gimmick; unless you have a power meter, it will always be a guess. Not because the manufacturers can't get it right, but because it is impossible to calculate using the data the device collects.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    How many calories in a beer? I'm on my second.

Whatever it is. Worth it.