fox shox

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i'm thinking of either changing or servicing my rear shock, the question i have is are all fox float shox the same size/length?

how do i measure mine if i need to? i've found a cheap rp23 on ebay that i wonder will fit?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no. and see the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welshkev
    i did look, obviously not hard enough :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The rebuild/service is worth every penny. I am convinced that from new the OE shocks have just enough functionality to get them out of the shop. It's all part of a ploy to get us to 'upgrade' when in reality these things just need building and setting up properly.

Got mine done by the lbs basic Float R £80 the difference between how it is now and how it was (even from new) is incredible.
  • welshkev
    .blitz wrote:
    The rebuild/service is worth every penny. I am convinced that from new the OE shocks have just enough functionality to get them out of the shop. It's all part of a ploy to get us to 'upgrade' when in reality these things just need building and setting up properly.

Got mine done by the lbs basic Float R £80 the difference between how it is now and how it was (even from new) is incredible.

cool, you may have just persuaded me :D

mojo are only just down the road and there's is £101 with a quick turn around.

do i literally undo the bolts, whip the shock out and then put it back in the same way?
  • .blitz
    Yes. It helps to use something to support the back end cos it will just collapse when you take the shock out :wink:
  • welshkev
    .blitz wrote:
    Yes. It helps to use something to support the back end cos it will just collapse when you take the shock out :wink:

good thinking, cos i honestly wouldn't have thought of that :lol:

i've said it before but i am a muppet with technical things :lol:
  • .blitz
    welshkev wrote:
    i honestly wouldn't have thought of that :lol:
    Neither did I! :lol: :oops:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy enough to do a basic seal service, bits are about a tenner on Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I rebuild mine in about 30min usually.
    As long as it doesn't 'suck down' it is very easy. The internet should have good instructions.. Make sure to get the seal kit and you can't go far wrong. £80 seems a bit much for this easy job. Forks need some more expertise though..
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    I service mine on a regular basis. Pop round to Mojo to get the kit. There are some good service vids on the internet and its a breeze. I even took mine in just to get the spacers changed and they charged it with nitrogen and checked I had done the service correctly.
    (at least I think it was nitrogen.)
    I just had them service my front forks and they have come back like new. I dropped them ff and collected them tree days later.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    See i find forks easy to service, but the rear shock looks a bit scary to me lol, so i take it too mojo.

Hmmm need to do my fork actually :s need some new syringes for measuring the oil n all :s
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    waylander have a look at this link. It is really easy. Every couple of years I get the bushings changed but Mojo do that, I just go round and buy the bits and they take out the old ones and replace them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8BNsFcINQ

I hope the link is correct.
  • .blitz
    Just to clarify, £80 was for an air can service, new bushes & top hats & nitrogen recharge incl parts

£30 for an air can service incl parts