A 29er Tire Selection for any Conditions

guy72277
guy72277 Posts: 74
edited July 2011 in MTB general
As it takes no time at all to swap out tires, I decided to become a tire tart and get a selection of 29er tires for my tire stable. Where I ride, it's dry in the summer, wet in the winter and everything else inbetween. I ride Xcountry and All mountain trails, and have to deal with roots, rocks, sand, mud, clay - the lot. Oh and a little tarmac too sometimes. Have done quite a bit of internet research and trails testing and now have what I think is the perfect selection of 4 tires that can handle any conditions.

For the dry stuff ---
On the back - WTB Vulpine 29er
http://www.wtb.com/products/tires/29er/vulpine29er/
These tires actually came stock on my bike, and I would never have thought of having a semi-slick on the back, however, the larger contact patch of the 29er wheel gives more than enough rear grip in dry conditions, it's very fast rolling, super light, and those side lugs dig in only when you need to corner hard.

On the front - Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29er
http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2178
This light tire has enough lugs to ensure solid front breaking and cornering in dry or loamy conditions, but is still a very fast roller. Racing ralph was a contender too, but is faster wearing and not quite as grippy where you need it up front.

For the wet stuff ---
On the back - Bontrager Mud X 29er
http://bontrager.com/model/07057
This tire is fantastic for when it's really wet and soggy. It's not too wide so cuts through the mud to get a decent grip on whatever it can find below. Cornering is solid with those side lugs and it tracks the front wheel well without being too draggy.

On the front - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29er
http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2671
Lightweight, excellent grip - a tried and trusted tire for up front breaking and cornering in nasty conditions.

Of course, if you dont think it'll be that muddy where you're riding, the other valid combination is a Nobby Nic on the front and a Rocket Ron on the back. Never had sidewall problems with the Schwalbes, I think for a 14 stone rider I'm quite light on my wheels, especially as for over 10 years I rode hardtail and have more recently moved to full sus.

I really enjoy checking the conditions, selecting the tires for weather and terrain then seeing how they perform on the trail. When I had my 26er, I just went for big knobblies 365. However with the 29er, I really notice the benefits of the semi-slick/rocket combination and how in dryer conditions lugs are noisy and just serve to slow you down. In the wet, the fatter Nobby Nic brakes so well in combination with the thinner mud X which really cuts through the mud well.

I'm sure there are other combinations of tires out there that deal with different or more extreme conditions, but these 4 29er tires enable me to handle it all where I ride.

Any other serial tire changers out there?

"Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain is Temporary, Glory is Forever" - Evil Knieval

Comments

• CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I'll confess to being a bit of a tyre tart too.

Although my 29er tyre collection only consists of two sets; one pair of Kenda Nevegals for when it's really slippy (and I don mean really slippy!) and a pair of Kenda Small Block 8s for the dry, tbh the SMB8s stay on for 90% of the year they're just so good!

As for my 26ers I've pretty much settled on Schwalbe's Albert/Nic/Ralph depending on conditions. Not tried the Rocket Rons yet but I'm keen to.

I've never gotten on with WTB tyres though, had some Exi-wolfs on the Duster as standard which were not very good at all.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Nobby N 2.4 for the Wales trips on rocks (only fit on the front)
    Conti mnt kings 2.4 for the soft dirt or muddy Surrey Hills - love these, roots, slosh =predictable
    SB8 for the dry
    Nevegals Came with a bike and no complaints wih those in the dry as well= a bit heavy
    22psi in the front
    32 in the rear
    with tubes
    Don't think, BE:
  • guy72277
    CycloRos wrote:
    I'll confess to being a bit of a tyre tart too.

Ahhh, i'm in good company then....
    CycloRos wrote:
    Kenda Nevegals for really slippy
    Kenda Small Block 8s for the dry which stay on for 90% of the year!

Yep, with the 29er contact patch you can get away with less knobbly tires for most of the year. What I really like though is having more grip up front for serious braking and also for when you push the corners and it's the controllable rear that starts to slip first. I'd recommend giving it a go (it'll also means you use all your tires) For me though the semi-slick (or a well worn tire) is a winner on the back.

If you've used Albert/Nic/Ralphs , I'm not sure the Rocket Rons will be so different. They're a bit more nobbly than Racing Ralphs, but I think that the compund is harder wearing as the Ralphs have soft racing rubber designed for grip rather than longevity.

Only ever tried the WTB Vulpines which I am really happy with - I would never have bought them though had they not come as stock on the bike - but will definitely buy again once they wear out completely.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have something like 9 diferent pairs for my 29er now, it was getting ridiculas changing for what ever condition, what i found that works in "most" conditions are Maxxis crossmarks 2.1 on the front, then Race King 2.0 on the rear.
    as soon as things get a little gloopy i put on the Kenda Karma's on, fast rolling for a mud tyre.
    Now i have the CB wheels and gone tubeless i change my tyres a lot less! but i keep my mud tyres on my old wheels (this is england after all) so i dont have to faff about so much.

I did buy a Stans "The Crow" tyre. i fitted it once, not sure where or how it will be usefull other than a full on dry race tyre with no technical sections what so ever :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/ct/2_ ... /236_29er/

good deals here, bought a few online from them
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • guy72277
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I have something like 9 diferent pairs for my 29er now,
    Bloody hell! Do you work in a bike shop? That's a lot of tires to choose from!
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    gone tubeless i change my tyres a lot less.
    Yep, I thought tubeless would make changing tires a bit more of a hassle.

VWsurfbum wrote:
    I did buy a Stans "The Crow" tyre. i fitted it once, not sure where or how it will be usefull other than a full on dry race tyre with no technical sections what so ever :wink:

Seriously, give it a try on the rear with a knobbly on e on the front. Even in damp conditions, the 29er contact patch gives you more than enough grip. I know i'm hard selling this semi-slick-on-the-back stuff, but it's made such a difference to my speed and handling. It'll fail on super-gloopy, but for anything else it's perfect. All the braking is done by the front anyway and that crow seems to have decent side lugs for those corners.
  • guy72277
    wobbem wrote:
    22psi in the front, 32 in the rear
    Hmmm, interesting....haven't thought about different pressures front and rear....what's the thinking behind the softer front and harder rear? I usually have both the same, as I though they get the same impacts - I'd have thought slightly squishier on the back is better for transferring the power... More stuff to think about now.....
  • VWsurfbum
    I use approx 25 up front and 35 rear, +- a little either way depending on conditions and if i'm racing i tend to put 5 or so more in than usual.
    The reason its different front to rear is your weight distribution, you'll probably find a lot less trail buzz if you soften the front up a little, and the rear takes most of your body weight so needs to be a little higher pressure.
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I have something like 9 diferent pairs for my 29er now,

Bloody hell! Do you work in a bike shop? That's a lot of tires to choose from!
    no but i do ride all year round in all sorts of places and condions, also taking up racing does mad tings to you :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    32psi is the lowest I run without pinch flats on the rear. Like VW said you can run far lower in the front and I find I get a bit more grip on the roots and rocks.Feels plusher to.
    Don't think, BE:
  • Interesting read
    I'm in need of a recommendation for a front tyre.
    Currently have 29-3 TLR from Bonty [it could be a bit bigger].
    I'm sure there is something better to buy & try?

Did have the stock bonty XDX on front & rear very big & good in the dry. Look similar to Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29er
    Concur on the Mud-Xs great for the rear.
    Anyone tried Mud -X on the front? Prob too small

Like the look of Bontrager FR3 Team Issue TLR Tyre
    Is this a new or recent tyre? Anyone tried it?

I'm running tubeless at the mo so haven't swapped yet.
    So far have stuck with the bonty tubeless system as I have found it to work well.

CiF
  • VWsurfbum
    Like the look of Bontrager FR3 Team Issue TLR Tyre
    Is this a new or recent tyre? Anyone tried it?
    just looked it up, blimey that looks like a chunky tyre! ideal all rounder i'm guessing.

i'm just toying with the idea of the Mud X's as i pre rode the race course for sundays race and i was slipping and sliding all over the place. really dont want to pay £45 for Nobby Nic for one race, or do i ride what i know and use the Kenda Karma's?
    Decisions decisions
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I ride all conditions in the North Wales hills.

On my rigid scandal I run Kenda nevegals 2.2. the larger volume tyres soften the ride a little but i am supprised how well they roll for such a nobbly tyre.

On my RIP 9 I am running racing ralphs, they are spot on for most conditions appart from the really gloopy stuff.

I am looking for something for the winter on the RIP. Thinking of the new mountain kings.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • VWsurfbum
    just fitted the Karma's back on, but i think i'll get some nicks for the winter, Are the Nevegals heavy? not used them in years!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    They're not too heavy but the bike is pretty light so you dont notice it. I got the nevegals as part of the build pack from on one.

With the front end being rigid it bounces through some of the rough singletrack bends, the nevegals do a good job digging into the dirt to keep you upright.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.