1.75 down to 1.5, would it make a huge difference?

chopperHarris
chopperHarris Posts: 119
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Currently running 1.75 nutrak slicks on my MTB (26") commuter, they were all the LBS had at the time i needed some, would going down to a 1.5 marathon or city jet make a huge difference in rolling resistance? i feel the Nutrak are slow but then I have only started commuting again in the last few weeks after a 10 month lay off and now riding a rigid MTB instead of a road bike.

its a 13 mile each way commute into London, all tarmac
08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
09 Corratec S-light
10 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    No real noticeable difference but you'll save a bit of weight, more so with the City Jet as well as some cash. Personally I don't see the value in the Marathons when you can get the City Jets for a tenner each, and they're a very good tyre - often underrated.

You can get a 1.3 Conti 'SportContact', but again at double the price of the City Jet, it's difficult to see the value in it.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I went from 1.5 City Jets to 1.75 Marathon Plus (not the same as a Marathon, but similar) and noticed an enormous increase in rolling resistance :( However, the MP are much, much less prone to punctures, although I do ride on really dirty, unswept roads which you might not.
  • bought the 1.5 city jets on friday came monday (good old CRC) fitted last night and commuted in on them this morning, Rolling resistance is definetly alot better, i did notice when swapping them over that the city jets felt about half as heavy as what they were replacing though!
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2