Surbiton to Chancery Lane-ish

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I am considering returning to my roots in leafy surburbia. Looking at Surbiton due to the fast train into town.

What route would one take in to town from there? Also, how feasible is the estimated 15 miles e/w a day?

Any other places I should consider? My O/H works near Bank, so needs to get into Waterloo reasonably rapidly via PT.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sewinman wrote:
    I am considering returning to my roots in leafy surburbia. Looking at Surbiton due to the fast train into town.

What route would one take in to town from there? Also, how feasible is the estimated 15 miles e/w a day?

Any other places I should consider? My O/H works near Bank, so needs to get into Waterloo reasonably rapidly via PT.

Thanks in advance.

It's feasible enough, if I lived there there's no way I would be paying for an overpriced train pass to and from work everyday. I've cycled to a colleague's place down that way near Esher from Chancery Lane (where I work). I got a bit lost and some of the roads are quite busy but it was fine... You can stop off on the way to do a few laps of Richmond Park...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    edited July 2011
    It's more than feasible. I go from Walton on Thames to that area every day. I'd say go up Portsmouth Rd to Kingston, up the A3, down at Putney, then join NKR and Embankment. Turn off at Blackfriars and there is a cycle path round the back of Fetter Lane that takes you to Chancery Lane tube or come off Embankment at Whitehall, down Strand and then left at Fleet Street.

EDITED to say, we looked at Surbiton but found it really expensive. WoT has quick trains into town too (25 mins) and is much cheaper.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Very feasible, sir. Mine's 15 miles from Kingston, so we'd have very similar routes.

RP (in Kingston Gate, out at Roehampton G.) -> Priory Lane -> URR -> Queen's Ride -> LRR -> Putney Bridge -> NKR -> Embankment (Yeeehaaaaaaa! see clarkey cat's post this morning) -> turn left at the appropriate turn off (Aldwych/Temple/just before Blackfriars?)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You could just wait outside Bentals in Kingston for Clarkey and I on our way from Walton on Thames to Chancery Lane every day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Follow this to Blackfriars then use Clarkeys directions
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/13439692
  • Sewinman
    Great, thanks all, the RP/NKR route makes most sense as I am a bit scared of the A3.

I had not thought of Walton, so thanks - will check it out.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    edited July 2011
    I do Surbiton to white city every day.

Obviously wherever you come from your always going to go the same way when you get to putney bridge, but I think from surbiton to putney bridge is a nice ride, quite quiet, a lot of park action too!

Obviously do consider that surbiton is a lot more expensive than its immediate surrounding, which include kingston, Hampton Wick, Teddington etc. The only place more expensive in the immediate area are East twickers/Richmond. However it has the best trainline around imo, 16 mins to waterloo 6+ trains an hour, nothing compares in any of SW London outside of Clapham really. Wimbledon is ok, but its a shithole and the nice bit is a fortune.

I haven't really worked out why its more expensive to be honest, yes its well equipped with trains and the river and a decent little highstreet, obviously kingston has everything you would ever need shopping wise, but even still that doesn't really explain the prices in my opinion. But its very road sensitive, (I'm a snob and would only live in about 6 roads in Surbiton) and the prices differ wildley, sometimes to the point of 1000's of £ difference between one road and the next even though on the face of it they look the same!

But all in all, its a decent little place, if you have any questions about the area give me a shout, I've had the pleasure of being here 5 years or so and have lived all over it, and for my sins was also an estate agent in the area so know the roads well.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Sewinman wrote:
    Great, thanks all, the RP/NKR route makes most sense as I am a bit scared of the A3.

I had not thought of Walton, so thanks - will check it out.

There are Road's and a shared cycle / footpath that run parallel to the A3 from Shannon's Corner New Malden all the way too Tibets Corner at the top of Putney Hill, so you don't need to venture onto the A3 itself. You could do a right at Shannons corner onto West Barnes Lane, along Worple Rd into Wimbledon, Earsfield, Wandsworth and through Battersea Park then into town, the cut thorough the park gives you the chance for a bit of a breather. (Also you get to see the nice girlies doing their group exercise classes for a bit of early morning cheer).
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • Sewinman
    okgo wrote:

Obviously wherever you come from your always going to go the same way when you get to putney bridge, but I think from surbiton to putney bridge is a nice ride, quite quiet, a lot of park action too!

Obviously do consider that surbiton is a lot more expensive than its immediate surrounding, which include kingston, Hampton Wick, Teddington etc. The only place more expensive in the immediate area are East twickers/Richmond.

I haven't really worked out why its more expensive to be honest, yes its well equipped with trains and the river and a decent little highstreet, obviously kingston has everything you would ever need shopping wise, but even still that doesn't really explain the prices in my opinion. But its very road sensitive, (I'm a snob and would only live in about 6 roads in Surbiton) and the prices differ wildley, sometimes to the point of 1000's of £ difference between one road and the next even though on the face of it they look the same!

But all in all, its a decent little place, if you have any questions about the area give me a shout, I've had the pleasure of being here 5 years or so and have lived all over it, and for my sins was also an estate agent in the area so know the roads well.

Thanks, I used to live there (Grove Rd) and know the area pretty well. I am looking for a flat to rent on one of the river roads, preferably with a small garden, balcony or decking....not easy to find as they are mainly communal gardens. Am going to visit on Saturday and have a look at the state agents. Also looking at St. Margerets.

I know Teddington/Hampton Wick well too, but that stopping train would annoy me if forced to use it.
  • clarkey cat
    Yes from Robin Hood gate up to the turn off for Putney there is a wide cycle lane on the pavement. I go that way sometimes if I fancy a change - obviously RP is nicer though.

Sometimes I ignore Putney and just push on through to Wandsworth after being on the A3 and then go up Vicarage Rd, through Battersea Park and then join Embankment there - or sack off Embankment altogether and head down Nine Elms Rd and then over at Waterloo.

I find all the routes take roughly the same time.

The possibilities are endless!!!
  • okgo
    I've tried to leave Surbiton 2 or 3 times, but I just can't come up with enough reasons usually.

Has everything I need and I'll probably buy here when I've got a pot to piss in.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Sewinman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Obviously do consider that surbiton is a lot more expensive than its immediate surrounding, which include kingston, Hampton Wick, Teddington etc. The only place more expensive in the immediate area are East twickers/Richmond.

Thanks, I used to live there (Grove Rd) and know the area pretty well. I am looking for a flat to rent on one of the river roads, preferably with a small garden, balcony or decking....not easy to find as they are mainly communal gardens. Am going to visit on Saturday and have a look at the state agents. Also looking at St. Margerets.

I know Teddington/Hampton Wick well too, but that stopping train would annoy me if forced to use it.

The train annoys the hell out of me too, that's why I started cycling! Love Surburbiton for the transport links but Teddington has nicer pubs and restaurants IMHO so ended up there.

Getting lots of SW burbs people on here these days. :)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    cjcp wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Very feasible, sir. Mine's 15 miles from Kingston, so we'd have very similar routes.

RP (in Kingston Gate, out at Roehampton G.) -> Priory Lane -> URR -> Queen's Ride -> LRR -> Putney Bridge -> NKR -> Embankment (Yeeehaaaaaaa! see clarkey cat's post this morning) -> turn left at the appropriate turn off (Aldwych/Temple/just before Blackfriars?)

+1.

Richmond Park is much nicer than the A3. Kingston Gate to Roehampton Gate through the middle rather than round the outside. I do from Esher to Fulham just before the embankment at Lots Road. Easy leasy. A few months ago I was going to North London from Fulham, so I know this full route and it's a nice one.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    okgo wrote:

But its very road sensitive, (I'm a snob and would only live in about 6 roads in Surbiton) and the prices differ wildley, sometimes to the point of 1000's of £ difference between one road and the next even though on the face of it they look the same!

I am having to move out from the inner city and have just started looking in Surbiton (and KT2). Having been thinking about the berrylands side of surbiton.

Which 6 roads are in your list?
  • okgo
    I live in Vctoria Avenue, its a nice road, shame about the rail track though, but I got a decent deal.

But I like :

St Andrews Sq (having lived in Surbiton court for a couple of years, the nice bit not the 60's dive)
    St James Road
    St Phillips Road
    Maple Road in General
    All the rivers roads up to Catherine Road
    Claremonth Road
    Any of the purpose builts down portsmouth road probably (lived in Kensington Gardens which is Kingston way, but still ok)
    At a push the St James development, but its a bit generic and everyone owns X3's

Personally I wouldn't live in Berrylands, its not very well served, and there is a dirty estate up there. I intend to buy probably a 3 bed cottage in one of the river roads, but need to find hald a million quid first.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Thanks okgo

[sorry, I'm going to hijack the thread with another question for okgo]

I had a good walk around the streets near the tennis club in Berrylands, which is a short walk to Surbiton high street and the houses seem very smart (if a little too peaceful for me). No sign of rundown homes or oeiks at all. If anything residents are obsessed by gardening.

Is there a darker side to this area that I'm not seeing? I do notice that prices drop right off when you go south towards Ewell Road or near the Berrylands station side.
  • okgo
    A few things really.

The trainline is shite, and its a walk to Surbiton (whichever way you look at it, its a ten minute walk down a hill, then back up it).

The local shops are rubbish.

Look up up Smith street on google earth, its a horrid little pit of students and scum.

Also the sewage works absoloutley stinks in the summer when the wind is right.

And lastly it has no river to stroll along that us middle class folk love so dearly. OH and its got a KT5 postcode :D
  • Sewinman
    Re around Surbiton Tennis club - there is an estate behind Etwell Place. Not exactly the Bronx...sort of place that people hang a George Cross out of their window. I can't see it affecting the posher roads much.

Berrylands has a sewage plant and smells in the summer - localised smell though. I would pick a hot day and check out if its ripe before buying a house in that area.

The tennis club is very nice - friendly, social...also you get some of the Pros playing there before Wimbledon.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    OK, the more reasoned response.

The Alpha Estate isn't that bad. I reckon a significant chunk of the housing there is owner occupied as a lot of council tenants exercised their right to buy.

You're pretty much equal distance from Surbiton and Tolworth town centres. Tolworthhas some excellent indian grocers/fruit and veg shops and a couple of nice restaurants. Otherwise, it's not particularly exciting or picturesque.

Surbiton town centre is a typical modern high street - the usual chains and supermarkets. Has some good charity shops.

There are several good bike shops in the area - all independent

Surbiton to chancery lane is fine - I do it 5 days a week and there are a number of routes in to town.

The smell from the former sewage works can be a problem at times, but then I used to live on the outskirts of Chessington/Malden Rushett and I used to have to put up with the smell of muckspreading on the fields nearby. Swings and roundabouts.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Another Surbiton-ite (well Long Ditton) checking in.

I currently do A3 to Robin Hood Gate and then through the park which is always quite a nice ride. I'm considering cutting directly across via Berrylands and New Malden for a bit of variety though.

As others have said, the A3 is easily negotiable through cycle lanes and side roads, for most of the journey I'm seldom in contact with any other traffic, so with a decent tailwind you can hit some impressive speeds :D

The only downside is a lack of other commuters along the A3, normally on a typical journey I don't see any more than 2-3 other bikes and not many of those offer any SCR :twisted:

And Berrylands? - No it stinks, I'd rather live in the Surbiton end of Tolworth if I had to decide between the two. There seems to be quite a lot of development there at the moment so I can see a chance for prices to rise.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • bracketed
    bracketed Posts: 55
    Aaaand another Surbiton/Kingston bod - this time to Fetter Lane.

Wot CJCP said, basically.
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • Sewinman
    bracketed wrote:
    Aaaand another Surbiton/Kingston bod - this time to Fetter Lane.

Wot CJCP said, basically.

I work on Fetter Lane...New Street Square.
  • clarkey cat
    I work right by there too - chain gang anyone?

Team Kingston-Midtown

Can I be designated sprinter...? not too keen on leading out.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I live in KT2, but work in Feltham. Beautiful ride through Bushy Park. But I read these threads and want to join in with rides into town. Not much demand for classic car types in town though.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I work right by there too - chain gang anyone?

Team Kingston-Midtown

Can I be designated sprinter...? not too keen on leading out.

It seems as if 50% of the forum live in Subiton :shock:

I'm up for a BR ride in, it should even things up with the Sky guys in RP at the moment.
    I'll have to ditch you guys at Hammersmith though

Not becasue I work there but I'll be tired by then
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Avoid Berrylands. Just don't go there. Surbiton is much nicer, although I would choose Thames Ditton.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thames Ditton and Long Ditton are certainly worth a look. I don't think you pay for the fast train link to Waterloo, but I could be wrong.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."