Shaving Burns

JOAJOA
JOAJOA Posts: 21
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
i'm not sure where to post this but I thought this is the most likely group of people who regularly shave!
I have recently begun removing the hair from my legs I made sure I knew what I was doing and the first time went very well, with only one small knick arounf my knee.
A couple of days later I thought I'd go over it again to catch all the bits I'd missed and I was racing in a few days. I did everything the same, appart from needing to clipper the thick hair away, but my thighs seem to get cut to pieces and they were in a lot of pain. Obviously they came up in spots. I use a sensitive shaving cream and a shaving mousituriser afterwards. Is it possible I've missed something, I'm now worried about doing it again!
Wiredly the lower leg went fine!
Please help!
And no I will not be waxing as I have a very low pain threshold and I'm not into the chemical burn products either!

Comments

• jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    practice basically. be gentle with the razor in the most sensitive areas
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Mach 3
    Apply warm water
    Shave cream
    Easy on the down, slower going up
    Dont shave higher than you need to. Your not wearing hot pants
    Finish with cold water
    Leave them alone
    Get some sun on them

Bingo
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I just shave under the shower. Suspect that the spots is folliculitis which could be caused by various things (I find it's worse if I use a scented moisturiser, E45 is fine).

Don't suppose it's an aging razor is it? I find that I have to change mine every week or they're just not sharp enough.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Dry with my wifes lady shave works for me.

The important thing is to use a ladys razor, that is what they are designed for, mens are for small areas like faces :wink:
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Never come close to knicking myself with my Gillette Fusion. 5 blades seems to spread the surface area nicely and I just swipe away without even thinking about it.

Do it in the bath and it's a piece of piss
  • JOAJOA
    JOAJOA Posts: 21
    It was a brand new razor but it was a mens. I got the one with the most blades i could find.
    Zoomer, what do you mean by easy on the down slower going up. I just go against the grain and as long strokes as possible.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    It was a brand new razor but it was a mens.

You'll notice such a difference with a lady shave (don't get a cheap one though) and they last much, much longer.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    JOAJOA wrote:
    Zoomer, what do you mean by easy on the down slower going up. I just go against the grain and as long strokes as possible.

I go down the leg first removing most of the hair, then back up slowly to get closer. I never have any spots or skin irritation afterwards doing it like this.
  • Waxing really is the way forward, and it gets a lot less painful after the first time you've had it done, but, if you can't face that prospect, its the aftercare following shaving that you need to look at.

Spots will be avoided by keeping the legs clean and moisturised. Using some sort of exfoliating scrub, like a loofah, will also stop in-growing hairs, which are usually the cause of spots.

You should never go against the grain, when shaving legs or face.
  • Waxing really is the way forward, and it gets a lot less painful after the first time you've had it done, but, if you can't face that prospect, its the aftercare following shaving that you need to look at.

Spots will be avoided by keeping the legs clean and moisturised. Using some sort of exfoliating scrub, like a loofah, will also stop in-growing hairs, which are usually the cause of spots.

You should never go against the grain, when shaving legs or face.