Why remove the display on gear shifters?

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited September 2011 in MTB general
I dont get this - saw somewhere on the net when searching for something else people posting for advice on how to remove the display that shows what gear you are in on their SRAM shifters.

New top end shifters all seem to come without display now, and manufacturers are dropping them further down the model ranges too.

Why would you not want a display? I can understand why you might feel you dont NEED one but people are making deliberate choices and seem to feel it is better not to have them - even to the point that they are taking their shifters apart to remove them.

Is this just weight weenies gone mad or is there more to it than that?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why do you need a display?

If you have them do you actually look at them?

cant remember the last time I looked at one for any reason other than setting up a nexus hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some people remove them so they don't interfere with the brake levers, so they can position brake and shifters where they want them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited July 2011
    Not so much an issue with Shram but Shimano indicators are in a really vulnerable position and they are quite easy to smash to bits when you go OTB and the bike lands upside-down on the handlebars :wink:

IME the shifter pods look much better without them and of course there's the option of mounting them in/outboard of the brakes.
    apreading wrote:
    even to the point that they are taking their shifters apart to remove them.
    Just two little screws on XT and there's a cap on the underside of the indicator that covers the exposed mechanism. 60 seconds max.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Why would you want a display?

There is no need to know which gear you're in, if you want a harder gear, change up. If you want an easier gear, change down.

Also removing them gives more brake lever adjustability, simplicity and a tiny weight saving.

Edit: beaten to it :lol:
  • apreading
    I am trying to think of why I would want a display, and I suppose part of it is that I have been used to having one and feel no reason to take the facility away for no reason or benefit.

I guess if I had ever had issues mounting brakes etc where I want them I would understand. If this is a problem then I can see the logic in it, but I wasnt aware that it was a problem for anyone until now.

I do actually use my display to some degree, as a rudimentary measure of my performance day to day. If I can get up a hill in a higher gear than normal I feel good and know I am having a good day and vice versa plus I like the progression I see as I gradually move up the gears compared to what I would have been doing in the past. I know I could look at the cogs and work it out, but really cant see why I should have to.

It just seems a shame that increasingly we seem to be being denied the option as manufacturers obviously see the cost saving benefit or not having to produce parts that they did in the past.
  • apreading
    I have to agree that the Shimano indicators do look a bit naff by the way, so can maybe understand if they are also fragile. My SRAM ones are part of the bar clamp though and really designed well.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Agreed SRAM indicators it's not an issue.

Re: using the indicators as a performance gauge I used to do this a lot but taking them off has other benefits - because you don't know exactly what gear you're in there's a tendency to push a bit harder instead of looking at the indicators and thinking 'oh yeah I'm in the right gear for this hill/obstacle' etc

Try covering the indicators with a bit of tape and you will see what I mean.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    apreading wrote:
    I dont get this - saw somewhere on the net when searching for something else people posting for advice on how to remove the display that shows what gear you are in on their SRAM shifters.

New top end shifters all seem to come without display now, and manufacturers are dropping them further down the model ranges too.

Why would you not want a display? I can understand why you might feel you dont NEED one but people are making deliberate choices and seem to feel it is better not to have them - even to the point that they are taking their shifters apart to remove them.

Is this just weight weenies gone mad or is there more to it than that?

That was probably my post then asking how to remove the display units :lol:

Not a weight-weeny gone mad at all, the honest answer is that I have difficulty fitting everything in the corret position on my handlebars because I have tiny girlie hands. It was suggested that I would be better off switching my gear and brake levers around (to help improve my reach), which has worked wonderfully, but it only actually fitted if I removed the shifter displays.

Hence I now run the shifters without their displays. I have not missed them at all - if an experienced rider can't judge whether they are in the right gear or not without looking at the display, quite frankly it's a little worrying!! :wink::D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    The amount of people I see riding with a massive cross over stretching the chain to breaking point I think more people actually need to use them.

On my mtb I stick to the middle ring mostly, only time I use the windows it when in the big ring to ensure I don't knock it too far down when climbing a quick hill.

On the road bike I'm very concious about not stretching the chain so look down a lot at the rear cassette, would be a lot easier if there was a window!!

I don't really understand why people wouldn't use them either, might just be once a ride when not sure if getting close to a cross over but that quick glance can be enough to save a broken chain....
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Steve_F wrote:
    The amount of people I see riding with a massive cross over stretching the chain to breaking point I think more people actually need to use them.

that is more likely people who do not know how to use their gears.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    hmm, i am going to say something now that is going to provoke ridicule but what the hell;

If you buy a 3x10 bike then you should have 30 gears, yes? but if you follow the rule of not using the extremities of the drive chain ie Big ring to big rong then you are missing out on a gear.

I understand the "torsional" wear that occurs as you effectively make the chain twist slight which will wear the linkages out over time, but the use of big ring to big ring will not "stretch" the chain as the derailleur has a sprung cage the compensates for chain tension, no? (see image for example of rear derailleur taking the strain)

gears1.jpg
    sorry if this makes me sound like a tard but i generally havent had any problems on either of my bikes when it comes to shifting and the life of my road cassette is about 3000 miles and the chain rings is about 9000-10000 miles. I am a big guy so there is a lot of force going through the drive chain when climbing/sprinting.

EDIT: i have never broken a chain
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    1, weight, yes not much but free, if you could lose just a little from every component it adds up, and yes weight does make a difference
    2, bar real estate, more space for light mount, cycle computer, lock out etc
    3, never used them, I prefer feel
    4, I maybe wrong but newer shifters allow mounting directly to brakes further saving weight and space.
    5. if your into the minimalist look.
    6. one less thing to rattle and break on the trail.
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    I removed the display on my shifters due to my preferred placement of my brake levers. Nothing to do with weight or looks. Also something I've never looked at either, just not necessary for me.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    kaiser83 wrote:
    hmm, i am going to say something now that is going to provoke ridicule but what the hell;

If you buy a 3x10 bike then you should have 30 gears, yes? but if you follow the rule of not using the extremities of the drive chain ie Big ring to big rong then you are missing out on a gear.

You certainly get 30 gear selections available, but you do not get 30 distinct gears.....there is some overlap between the gears....so big ring big rong, will likely have a middle ring somewhere in the middle rong combo that is more or less equal (in terms of gear inches)...

so you don't actually lose any distinct gear options...and you don't then get the extra wear which you talked about later in your post.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    kaiser83 wrote:

I understand the "torsional" wear that occurs as you effectively make the chain twist slight which will wear the linkages out over time, but the use of big ring to big ring will not "stretch" the chain as the derailleur has a sprung cage the compensates for chain tension, no? (see image for example of rear derailleur taking the strain)

gears1.jpg
    sorry if this makes me sound like a tard but i generally havent had any problems on either of my bikes when it comes to shifting and the life of my road cassette is about 3000 miles and the chain rings is about 9000-10000 miles. I am a big guy so there is a lot of force going through the drive chain when climbing/sprinting.

EDIT: i have never broken a chain

Maybe not so much of an issue with a road bike but on a FS there's no give at all in that set up with the derailleur if it had to stretch. I went through a while of ripping the rear mech and hanger off on a 2x9 set up and it seemed to stop when I stopped using the middle (which was actually the big ring I suppose) to low (biggest cog) on the back.

Just don't like the idea of the components being stressed to that level on any of my bikes.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Never look at mine, only pay attention to my pedalling, and they always brake in 2-3 rides doesnt matter the make i find :(
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I’ve recently upgraded to xt shifters for this reason alone, so I could alter their position on the bars, it now means I can single finger break.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Not sure why sram take them off their top end shifters, they dont affect brake placement and having them is minimally beneficial to not having them. No, you don't look at them when riding but it can help when indexing gears and if you've came to an abrupt halt in traffic and need to know what gear you're setting off in.
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    learners can find them useful. so you can see how many you have left if you're climbing, for instance.

for me, i have sram ones which aren't an issue, but my wife's are shimano. although they only have an indicator for roughly where you are between 1 and 8!

it can be helpful early doors, like the plastic ring that you often get behind the rear cassette. they are things you learn to ignore/not use when you get more proficient.
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    If you buy hope tech brakes you have to remove the display, since removing mine I havent missed them at all, and the bars look a lot cleaner, plus one finger breaking like said is easier.
  • apreading
    But the SRAM ones have a proper display unlike Shimano and it doesnt take any space on the bar - it is integrated into the bar clamp.

See http://media.photobucket.com/image/sram%20x7%20shifter/colinsmythe100/IMG_2027.jpg?t=1242052803

Its not going to be any cleaner than that without the display.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have SRAM shifters with display. The display is very handy for training, if you ride a certain route and then analyse the data. As a result I know the precise gear and cadence for each hill. Then I can use the cadence sensor and HR monitor on the satnav as a guide to my performance.

This is really only useful though if you are looking to get 10 seconds here and a minute there as a result of focusing on what you are doing.
  • I've just fitted a new SLX RH shifter and Deore Shadow rear mech and I'm gonna remove the display. As a 1x9 setup I don't need to know and it's just another distraction to me rather than thinking "is this spinning out/labouring? Up or down a gear?". Like someone else posted, when off road who wants to look at what gear they're in or what their HR is, you'll just end up crashing! (fine for roadies though :wink: )
    As for the weight? Not an issue to a BFB.... :lol:
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    learners can find them useful. so you can see how many you have left if you're climbing, for instance

^^This^^

My X7 shifter display got damaged and the plastic cover came loose. I pulled it off and have never missed it. I never look at the position displays, my legs tell me whether I am in the right gear or not. I think it becomes instinctual after a while
  • quattrojames
    quattrojames Posts: 157
    My new bike looked perfect..... except for the tacky Deore indicators, I upgraded to SLX's for £20 principally so I could remove the indicators! The SLX's indicators are neater, so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Ten days later and I don't think I've used them once! They'll be coming off soon, along with the wheel reflectors - principally just to tidy the bars up, I think the bike looks 'classier' without, and whilst the weight saving is on the small side of monimal it all helps :D
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    removed mine when fitting hope techs
    have since got rid of the techs as they leaked and had no feel but thats another story
    but when changing the brakes i didnt bother putting the indicators back on as i never use them anyway :D
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've got one of the inline 'fishing float' type indicators on my road bike and use that a fair bit - avoids cross overs and what not. Now I run a single ring on my MTB I don't really care. Keep pressing lever until it stops moving, then pedal harder!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I still find them useful when heading downhill to see roughly where I am at a glance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I've had them on SRAM shifters and stil have an older X-7 shifter on one bike, I don't think I've ever looked at it, put a 2010 X-7 (no display) onto a matchmaker on my code5s on my other bike an it is just so much in a better position oh and lighter too. So if you can make a shifer lighter and better to mount then why woud you want such a pointless 'feature'.

As for gear useage I like a 1x# but having 30 or 27 gear and being able to use 'all' of them what is the point? You will have virtually the same ratios without causing chain wear/snapping/coming off when using extremes.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • StumpyPaul
    StumpyPaul Posts: 56
    I never use mine on my XT's, they easy to remove ?
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66