1st Crit

Brushiemma10w
Brushiemma10w Posts: 78
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
47 year-old, born again roadie with 3 months experience and getting further sucked into this great hobby, I entered a 200k Sportive on 24th July. I decided to mix the training up a bit by entering my first crit this evening, along with a fellow novice.
To summarise, I had my ar5e handed to me on a plate by almost all & sundry. My tactic was to sit at the back at the start, conscious of my lack of knowledge & not wanting to take anyone out.......big mistake.
My mate went off quick (too quick I thought) in an effort to stay with the bunch, whilst I decided to pace myself and catch him as he tired. As the race unfolded, my mate was in a bunch of 5 riders, whilst I slipped further adrift in what was a strong wind and the gap continued to open.
The lesson I learnt is that once you're cut adrift, its hard to get back without the benefit of any drafting and although I picked off a few stragglers, each one I overtook dropped out shortly after. Perhaps I had "paddy wagon" tattooed on my backside :roll:
My average speed was 19mph, which was very disappointing, but hey-ho, I've had a go and look forward to doing it again next year and I'd still recommend anyone should give it a go.
Funniest part for me was when my mate sprinted to the line at the head of the group of 5 he'd rode with thinking he'd won his battle. He sat up as he crossed the line and the other riders ppassed him as the bell was sound for the last lap. :lol:

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Well, it sounds like you don't know the first thing about bunch racing, so it was probably for the best that you got dropped immediately. Try joining a local club and asking the racers/ex-racers for tips.
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    Well done for turning up and giving it a go, it doesnt matter about your lack experience, the reason we have the race you entered is to allow peope like yourself to give racing a go
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    orbeaorca wrote:
    Well done for turning up and giving it a go, it doesnt matter about your lack experience, the reason we have the race you entered is to allow peope like yourself to give racing a go

+1

Congrats on becoming part of the small minority of UK cyclists who actually want to get involved in competitive racing. Now your first race is out the way, you will have a better idea of the standard you need to aim at.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Pseudonym wrote:
    orbeaorca wrote:

+1

Congrats on becoming part of the small minority of UK cyclists who actually want to get involved in competitive racing. Now your first race is out the way, you will have a better idea of the standard you need to aim at.

Totally agree. It doesn't matter what happens in the race you have my big respect for giving it a go.
    I started with some crits last year at Go Race level and really enjoyed it. One race was spent lapping a lady on a flat bar bike every three laps! Did we laugh, take the pi55 or complain? Did we heck, she had the guts to enter and ride the whole race regardless.
    All those riders who fear crashing/getting dropped/looking weak don't know what they are missing.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Using crit racing as training for a 200km sportif is like learning the trumpet by playing drums. The requirements to do well in both are very different.

If you are serious about racing, get some more experience of riding in a group in a non-race situation (is there a club local to you that organises a chaingang during the week?) and speak to others about the sort of training you need to do that is specific for crit racing.

Also remember that most other racers have been racing since March and are at peak fitness whereas you have none of the top-end speed you need to race (and it will take you at least 6-8 weeks to improve if you start now).

Well done for giving it a go, but as you've discovered, it's a steep learning curve.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Using crit racing as training for a 200km sportif is like learning the trumpet by playing drums. The requirements to do well in both are very different.

If you are serious about racing, get some more experience of riding in a group in a non-race situation (is there a club local to you that organises a chaingang during the week?) and speak to others about the sort of training you need to do that is specific for crit racing.

Also remember that most other racers have been racing since March and are at peak fitness whereas you have none of the top-end speed you need to race (and it will take you at least 6-8 weeks to improve if you start now).

Well done for giving it a go, but as you've discovered, it's a steep learning curve.

Thanks for the advice. I'd been along to watch the previous week and thought I'd have a crack as it was the last one. I knew it'd be tough and that it was of no use to the miles required for a 200k sportive, but as it was a Go Race event & I fancied doing something a bit different, I thought "what the hell". I failed to live up to my low expectations and the only consolation is that i didn't get lapped.
    Chatted to a couple of members of the local bike club and hope to get out on one of their runs soon.
    I would describe my performance as tactically inept & physically embarrassing but we all start somewhere. Oddly enough, I've had no phone call since last night from HTC as a possible replacement for Cav :roll:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I can think of no other sport where the basic entry level to even complete an event in contention is so high. The second you let go of the wheel in front of you, your race is over effectively.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If you held 19mph for most of an hour after 3 months on the bike you're doing very well. Took me about 2 years to do that.

Enjoy the riding, if you can join a a club then even better as you'll have other riders to guage your strength against as well as some bunch riding experience. It's a bit of a fight to get fit enough to race but well worth the effort.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Kudos for entering, and as others have said, keep trying, you'll get there. It's much easier to keep pace with the bunch if you're tucked in and out of the wind.
  • What kind of race licence & club membership do you need to enter a go race event please.
  • Just checked out the website. Isnt go race for kids?
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    None at all. But then, you don't get any official recognition beyond that event - if you want points towards your category (4th, 3rd, etc) then you will need a racing license. Go to the british cycling website for full details and explanation.
  • markos1963
    What kind of race licence & club membership do you need to enter a go race event please.

None, lot's of events allow entry on the day and you pay for a day licence(usually £5). If you are a BC bronze member you can get a provisional licence(free if your club is a BC affiliated club) which will mean you don't have to pay for a day licence.

Go Race is adult beginner racing, Go Ride is for kids.

Would advise you to join a club just to get used to bunch riding. Even though Go Race is a beginners event there will be some experienced group riders in there who will expect a certain standard of riding. If you are too dangerous you might get pulled by the marshalls.
  • Thanks for that. I have ridden with my local club and was quite comfortable with the other riders and being in a bunch.

Do i just google Go Race?
  • markos1963
    Thanks for that. I have ridden with my local club and was quite comfortable with the other riders and being in a bunch.

Do i just google Go Race?

The BC site has a list of event's or try some of your local club's web sites, lots of these events are run by clubs.