I wasn't expecting that...

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
So, there I was, finally sworn as a juror in for a trial after 2 days waiting to be called in semi-incarceration. At the very outset of the trial, the judge begins proceedings with ''Mr Marmoset*...''

I freeze! What have I done?

The judge continues, ''I see we have a fellow cyclist in the court...'' and, having obviously noticed my hi-viz rucksack cover and rather florid red top, then proceeded to give me helpful advice about where I could leave my cycling accoutrements (facilities being limited to a wheelbender bike stand outside, together with the usher's reassuring advice, ''Cyclists are advised to bring a strong lock - courts do tend to attract criminals...'').

I knew there was a fairly well-known cycling silk - I subscribe to his blog. I see police on bikes on an almost daily basis. But I now seem to have chanced across a cycling judge. That really isn't anything I'd ever considered before.

But it's made me look at the ''safety in numbers'' principle from a different angle - not just from the point of view that drivers will become more aware of cyclists, but from the point of view that the wider the social range of cyclists, the better the chance of cyclists getting a fair hearing, both in the strict legal sense as well in the wider more general sense. The background assumption that cycling is something that we do, rather than the assumption that cycling is something that they do.

I find it a very reassuring notion that a judge might understand cycling. Surprising but reassuring.

*species altered to protect identity and maintain court confidentiality.

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    One of our county court judges wears a bowler hat and rides a Brompton - damn cyclists get everywhere - nice surprise though :)
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    When I worked for the old bill, one of my staff was a Crown Court Liaison Officer, whose role was fairly self-explanatory.

One afternoon he walked into my office and said "I'm afraid I'm going to be unavailable for the next couple of hours. HHJ Judgey Judgeness* has a puncture on his bicycle and has asked that I drive him home.

Not exactly the best use of resources or taxpayers money (especially when there was an Evans on the ground floor of our office, 2 mins walk away from the courthouse), but Judgey did indeed get a lift home.

*Names have been changed to protect the guilty.
    Rules are for fools.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On the courts attracting crims line. A job I once did meant we had to collect from a local Cat D prison. After checking in at the gatehouse, handing in mobiles and having IDs checked, the guard said that we should lock the lorry when we leave it as the prison is full of criminals, No sh!t sherlock :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    redvee wrote:
    On the courts attracting crims line. A job I once did meant we had to collect from a local Cat D prison. After checking in at the gatehouse, handing in mobiles and having IDs checked, the guard said that we should lock the lorry when we leave it as the prison is full of criminals, No sh!t sherlock :shock:

Hell the prisoners would all have you believe everyone in there is innocent :lol:

when I worked for the prison service I had my bike nicked from outside in the 'secure' bike locker. The Irony was a prisoner stood as witness to a member of staff having nicked my bike which he had to admit to. :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    NGale wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Hell the prisoners would all have you believe everyone in there is innocent :lol:

when I worked for the prison service I had my bike nicked from outside in the 'secure' bike locker. The Irony was a prisoner stood as witness to a member of staff having nicked my bike which he had to admit to. :shock:

Half of the lies they tell you are not true. But given recent events involving some Cardiff ex-cops, quite a lot of prisoners are likely innocent, at least of the crime they have been convicted for.

My old landlord once curtailed a visit to the house I was in explaining that he had to leave because he had to meet his brother was in court. When I asked what the charge was, he explained indignantly that his bro was the presiding magistrate, an event which I thought neatly summed up the difference in our social standings.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    redvee wrote:
    the guard said that we should lock the lorry when we leave it as the prison is full of criminals, No sh!t sherlock :shock:
    I used to have a few mates in the force, they were always whinging about having kit (such as gloves) knicked, reckoned more crime happened per square yard in the Police station offices than anywhere else.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

Half of the lies they tell you are not true

I'd say all the lies aren't true :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."