Incorrect BB spacer fitting, problems?

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I just wondered what should happen if you fitted a SLX Hollowtech BB and chainset on a 68mm BB shell frame with one spacer on each side, instead of 2 on the driveside and one on the non-driveside?

I'm going to be fitting a BB mounted Blackspire Stinger to my Fury but I noticed that the LBS only put one spacer on each side instead of 2 on the driveside and 1 on the non-driveside. What problems will I encounter when I try to fit the Stinger instead of the only driveside spacer?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The stinger should be the same width as a spacer if a BB fit, so all will be well.
  • getonyourbike
    How come everything's working fine atm with the wrong amount of spacers installed, though?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is possible to not preload the bearings correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • getonyourbike
    nicklouse wrote:
    it is possible to not preload the bearings correctly.
    Would I notice that, then? The cranks some to spin easily with the chain off.
  • nicklouse
    nothing to do with spinning.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • getonyourbike
    How would I know the bearing preload is wrong then?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I had an slx fitted to my trance with just one spacer for over a year with no problems.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    That's because the Trance has a 73mm bottom bracket and only needs one spacer fitting.
  • getonyourbike
    So anybody know? Will my BB die really quickly? Should I go back to the LBS about it?
  • nicklouse
    the crank arm will bottom out on the stops and you will not be preloading the bearings so the cranks will move.

this is taking the info you have provided as being correct.
  • getonyourbike
    UPDATE

Well. I fitted the Stinger on sunday and you were right. The NDS BB cup was really loose because it had bottomed out, the LBS hadn't even greased the threads, really shoddy job. The crank was never loose though. It's all working perfectly now though. The stinger went on in addition to the spacer and it's all good. I'm never going back to that LBS, well, except in a few minutes time to give them a bollocking!