White bar tape...

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Ok, quick one to find out if anyone knows of a brand of white bar tape that is comfortable, like a cork or gel tape, but which DOESN'T get dirty in use!?

Thanks in advance.

PP

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cif-multi.jpg
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Easy - Fizik microtex with the added gel pads fitted underneath!
  • ajb72
    I should add, it still gets dirty - impossible to avoid. It's just easy to clean.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My mate is a complete bike ponce and his bikes are immaculate even after a few years. Even he's not bothering with white tape any more.
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    Specialized roubais is very comfy, gel inserts...
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Baby wipes for cleaning it
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    ajb72 wrote:

+1 mine has been since Jan and its still as white as an americans teeth.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Use any white tape you wish. After you get done putting it on, take the bike inside and never ride it again. Presto, white bar tape stays pristine forever. :wink::wink:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Specialized Roubaix, which is comfy, then for cleaning, a can of pledge (flavour of your choice), a microfibre cloth from a supermarket, spray loads on the tape and squeeze the cloth round, back white as white in no time. Starts to fur up a little in the end but you can have it looking like new in a minute or two from quite grubby.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Not so sure i'd use anything other than washing up liquid to clean bartape ... Pledge seems suspiciously like something i'd hate to be getting onto my sweaty fingers seconds before i ate a cereal bar or suchlike ...
  • ajb72
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Baby wipes for cleaning it

+1.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Thanks for all the cleaning tips, most of which I already practice!!!!! The question was to find out if there is a white bar tape out there that stays clean.....I currently have Specialized Roubaix, which is nice and comfy, but gets dirty VERY quickly....

PP
  • ajb72
    I think the point is that no white bar tape is going to stay clean once you ride - it's a question of which tape is the easiest to clean.

As mentioned before, Fizik Microtex is the probably the best here. The semi-shiny finish is not as textured feeling or absorbent as cork tape or the Specialized phat tape / Roubaix tape.

Its easy to clean with soap and water, or a bit of vigorous rubbing with a wet wipe. It also dries fast too so you can clean it and ride again next day without it feeling damp.
  • cif-multi.jpg

+ 1

A quick wipe with Cif and a cloth once it starts to get to slight dirty after a ride, two minutes work and keeps it nice and white. No bloody hassle!
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    wicked wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1 mine has been since Jan and its still as white as an americans teeth.

+1 - I'm on my second set in 3 years and that's only because I fell and ripped the 1st set. Not soft without gel but REALLY easy to clean.