Darren Gough slagging Le Tour

epc06
epc06 Posts: 216
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Anyone catch talk sport yesterday evening where they had a poll - tour de france or tour de farce?
Now I have no problem with people not understanding why I like to watch cycling, I get that all the time at work. I feel the same way about motor sport and the grand pricks.
However this tool was unbelievably ignorant on the subject, especially so as he was himself a professional sportsman once.
His most ludicrous claim was that anyone can do it. they can only endure 3 weeks of the race because they have been cycling every day since they were kids.
He also questioned what kind of sport is it whereby the racers have radios with people telling them when to ride fast????
dont know where this guy gets his info from but it was embarrassing for him.
Dont know where the debate ended up as i had to switch off, anyone else catch it?

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    That would be that finely tuned athlete Darren Gough then?

Not the lardy bloater!?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's Talksport, what do you expect?

Of course Gough never had a captain telling him where to bowl. And his claim of 'they can do it because they've been doing since they were kids', is ironically far more true of skill based sports like cricket, than it is of cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    what about this guy from ESPN saying the Flecha and Hoogerland crash was Hilarious..

read more here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... _blog.html
    cartoon.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He is a cricketer...nearly as bad as a footballer. He can be disregarded along with anything he says.

Lightweight in mind, heavyweight in fatness.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    edited July 2011
    RichN95 wrote:

Quite. I had the misfortune of meeting the now head of Talksport some years back. What a ******. Which more or less sums up the entire roster of presenters as well.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    RichN95 wrote:

This. I only put talksport on when they have a football commentary as unfortunately they won the rights to a few PL games. Not worth worrying about otherwise.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    He is a cricketer...nearly as bad as a footballer. He can be disregarded along with anything he says.

Lightweight in mind, heavyweight in fatness.

But that is the kind of ignorance Gough himself is displaying.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Anyone who has listened to him on TalkSport will not be surprised by this. He regularly comes across as a complete ignoramus on many subjects. Sometimes I think it's simply presenting contrary views to generate discussion to fill out a dull programme but I also think he's something of a dinosaur and quite thick with it.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm a bit of a cricket fan on the sly...shame to see a former professional sportsman show such a lack of respect for other professional sportsmen. Cricket may not be full of such fine athletic specimens as cycling, but it takes a lot of talent and determination to get to the top of any major sport.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    does he have a Twitter account? Im feeling a bit abusive today
    www.dotcycling.com
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    That ESPN guy started off pretty chippy, but I'm guessing he must have received a bit of a dressing down as there is a rather humble apology on his twitter feed now.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    here it is @DGoughie hehe
    www.dotcycling.com
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Cricketer engages in some sledging. Not exactly a surprise.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    He's from Yorkshire, what do you expect?
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Without being funny, I thought the whole point of the Talksport presenters was to say absolutely anything so long as it was controversial.

I very much doubt it is what his actual view is so hurling abuse at him on twitter will if anything make whatever his actual view of cyclists is turn in to a view that we are a bit thick and defensive.

I remember a Talksport presenter did a couple of episodes of 606 on 5Live and the difference from the BBC lot was remarkable. The show turned in to a farce with him coming out with completely ludicrous statements just to create controversy.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Talksport presenters are scripted to provoke people to call in by making such comments. It's how the station has worked for years.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Darren Gough? Anyone can do it? Pot Kettle Black? It might take years of practice, but standing in a field hitting a ball with a lump of wood, and then chucking it at some more lumps of wood is hardly hard work, probably why he was always such a fat basta*d.

Camparable to cycling in the cheating stakes though :wink:
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    It is a shame when people decide to pass verdict on something they have no knowledge about. Take fox hunting for example there are thousands of people who claim to be agianst it, yet have they ever witnessed a fox hunt or even researched what goes on, no. Now I'm not saying that fox hunting is right or wrong but it is a great example of people commenting on something they know absolutely nothing about.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    Talksport = Talkfootball.....You wouldn't think the football season had finished, they've payed only lip service to the 'summer sports' - and as such I can't listen anymore.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's funny.

My brother plays football at a high amateur level and I know he (and his team mates I know) are always in awe when I tell them how far I have ridden or plan to ride. There's an element of respect there and I often hear: "you must be mad", "I'd be in an ambulance on the return leg". All banter and respect from very good, very fit themselves footballers.

I NEVER hear cyclists praising the skill of footballers or the strength of rugby players. Darren Gough (as a one off) follows the same tact and cyclists are up in arms.

What I am saying is: 'we' very rarely offer enough respect to other sports so we might be as bad as the Talksport presenter.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    No one is as bad as a Talksport presenter. It's the Sun of radio. They make up some piece of crap, and then have retards phone in on £1/minute phone lines to debate the said fantasy.

I've actually been on twice :) I'm a slow learner.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    May be an urban myth but years ago there was a story of an interview with the aforementioned Goughie in which he was asked why he had the nicknname "Rhino". "because I'm as strong as an ox" was our dim-witted friends reply.

Having said that I did like him as a player but he hasn't got the brains to carry a broadcasting role without resorting to the cheap and easy style of talksport.
  • its talksport, what do you expect?
    Its the radio equivalent of the sun listened to mainly by racist london cabbies and white van wankers.
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    Perhaps he should still to ballroom dancing . the clog wearing whippet breeding plank .
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Before anyone completely demonizes Darren Gough, I have actually briefly met him (dennisn will be pleased). It was at a charity cricket dinner before the first Ashes test in 2009. He came across as a really decent bloke. Had plenty of time for anyone who fancied a quick chat or a photo (more than any of the other cricket stars who were there).

As many have already said, rabble rousing with ill informed opinions is what Talksport do. He's just doing his job.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    He also said Barcelona fc were rubbish and would rather watch corrie than watch Barca play. The one thing i detest about him is the fact he has no humility, constantly boasting about how much he spends on cars, houses and motorbikes etc.
    Im ashamed to say im from the same town as him indeed the same school!
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    its talksport, what do you expect?
    Its the radio equivalent of the sun listened to mainly by racist london cabbies and white van wankers.
    I think its probably you who is the wanker.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • if talkshite was a newspaper it would be the daily star. other than that italian football expert(builgamme???) they are just a bunch of idiots who are happy talking about chelsea or arsenal. keys and gray are their star turns, says it all really...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    RichN95 wrote:
    Before anyone completely demonizes Darren Gough, I have actually briefly met him (dennisn will be pleased). It was at a charity cricket dinner before the first Ashes test in 2009. He came across as a really decent bloke. Had plenty of time for anyone who fancied a quick chat or a photo (more than any of the other cricket stars who were there).

As many have already said, rabble rousing with ill informed opinions is what Talksport do. He's just doing his job.

This. And like I already noted; the complaints on here are largely hypocritical with many BR posters refusing to acknowledge the skills and strengths required for other sports.

It comes down to a lack of respect. Unless you're being paid to rabble rouse.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Surely calling him a fat nobody who hits a ball with a lump of wood is just as bad as saying cyclists can ride the Tour de France with no problems, no?