Hip Pain

Blue Meanie
Blue Meanie Posts: 495
edited July 2011 in The workshop
Ok, maybe not the correct forum, but it is cycle related:
Recently self diagnosed myself as suffering from sciatica - however my doctor disagrees.
Seems I've strained (again and again from a life of cycling and martial arts) my piriformis or psoas major or iscowhatsit, and I'm recommended to apply RICE as recovery.
So how exactly can you rest, compress or elevate your hip? (ice is easy enough)
Currently taking ibubrofen by the handful and have a list of stretches to do. Will hang up the fixed for a while and cycle spinny gears on my road bike.

Anyone else on here have experience of similar repetitve injury? Seeing a physio on Friday, will take it from there...
FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm I had bad hip pain that turned out to be a flat foot making we walk lopsided with the hip tilted 'in' causing the problem - fixed by insoles, sciatic pain rarely comes out as hip pain in my experience!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ice is a good bet. Maybe lying on an ice bag will work for you, as it'll have the compression effect. I don't think you're going to get anywhere with elevating your hip; it's so central that it's not going to behave like an extremity whatever you do.

Personally, I'd stay away from Ibuprofen, and away from the bike. I'm not a big fan of shovelling drugs into my gob, especially when large quantities of them don't do you much good.

Take it easy; rest is truly a good thing until the cause is understood, and take the advice of the physio.
    Do you know what brought it on?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    i have similar i found that stretches help the most, see c+ indian knot helps
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    I think it's when I was practising an 'aero' position (been watching too much Tour). Stretching your back, which pulls on the leg muscles, which alters your pedalling style. And going too hard before I was properly warmed up. Oops :oops:

Also, it's a combination of what I do off the bike. I have to re-train myself out of a few bad posture habits, physio's recommend:
    1) Keeping your knees together (like you're wearing a skirt!, when geting up out of chairs.
    2) Keep feet apart when standing, to provide a more stable 'triangle'
    3) Sit down to put on/remove socks/shoes instead of hopping/wobbling on one foot
    4) Not sitting for hours in front of a pc in the same position
    5) Not lounging about reading books with out breaks from position

Turns out I'm not 19yrs old anymore! And will have to adopt a more 'old man' attitude to how I go about things when doing the 'little' things: wrestling the lawnmower out of the shed, carrying all the shopping from the car in one trip, etc

Can't really stay off the bike, but for the next few weeks I'll be taking it easy, spinning gears and not attacking hills and (gulp) no SCR.

Also, leg raises, sit-ups (for my hip wtf?) and the old Tae Kwon Do regime of stretching once it's had a few days to settle down.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc