Customs Clearance Question

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
My Oakleys arrived at Coventry customs on Sunday.

Stuff from the far east is given Clearance within hours normally

But its 3 days later and these glasses from the USA are still waiting Clearance , how long does it normally take?

Gaz
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on the courier as much as customs, customs won't release the package until they know they will be paid the duty owing......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I've had to wait a week for stuff coming through Coventry before now. They're not the most expediant.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Customs are a complete rule unto themselves and can do (or not do) pretty much anything they like.

Additionally, as part of their mass power grab under the banner of the 'War Against Everyone Else" America has added some addtional hurdles to anyone importing from the states. This normally only applies to goods with a value of over £600 (aka $1000) so unless you've ordered some really bling Oakleys this shouldn't be a factor.

Ha! Just had an image of Elton John on a bike! :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You glasses probably haven't actually arrived yet; in most cases the documentation is sent to customer in advance to they can pre clear the package. Unfortunately on most delivery tracking systems this isn't made very clear and it reports as 'Awaiting customs clearance in Coventry Airport' when the package is actually still in Louisville, Kentucky.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX