Replacement Seat Post Clamp

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I overtightened my seat post clamp tonight while doing some fettling. I expect I could find a replacement bolt or look at taping out the nut but I thought about just getting a replacement seat post clamp.

I fancy something trendy and not quick release and have seen the Thomson offering which is about £20. It might be more expensive than any other offering and I don't need it for a carbon seat-post but wanted the benefit of an upgrade at the same time as a replacement.

Any advice on whether this is overkill or should I just get something cheap. I have had creaking from my seat-post before and would hope this would also help.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use on-one alpines on several bikes, good quality, never had a problem - avoid expensive copies - mine cost £3 each but the regular price is £5 from memory.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • darpots
    darpots Posts: 12
    Just dont do what I did when replacing mine which was to grab the diameter from the original bike specs... measure the frame or old seat clamp. :oops:
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I managed to re-tap out the bolt and have the original clamp back in place but I might consider an upgrade anyway (I've got a voucher for my LBS).

I liked the Nukeproof one and the Thomson one which seem to be trendy, is there any benefit on bling like this?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."