U.K. Eurolotto ticket wins £168,000,000

2»

Comments

• Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    It wouldn't change me, but I would change my underpants. :lol:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Local restaurants must be rubbing their hands with glee...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    People down the road from me won80 million a year or so back. Camelot shipped them off for some privacy and they returned to numerous black bags of begging letters! If I won I would carry on as normal until all the fuss died down then pretend I won the normal weekend jackpot.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    kev77 wrote:
    Anyone else think they're mad for going public?

Crazy risk IMO. They are now a criminal magnet - they risk family members being kidnapped and held to ransom, truckloads of begging letters, constant personal hassle and attacks etc.

Bets on how long before they are forced to either get bodyguards/security or quietly disappear?
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188

Hell yeh!!

I've heard that one of the main reasons you would hold a press conference and make it public is that it stops media dirt (and additional phone hacking!?) doing what ever they need to do to find you, thus causing you a shed load of hassle - though, I would of thought you'd get that anyway.

Like most on here, I would of kept it to my self/close family.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    nmcgann wrote:
    kev77 wrote:

Crazy risk IMO. They are now a criminal magnet - they risk family members being kidnapped and held to ransom, truckloads of begging letters, constant personal hassle and attacks etc.

Bets on how long before they are forced to either get bodyguards/security or quietly disappear?
    I read today that they've had to do a runner, as they've had a stream of nutters turn up at their house and sack loads of begging letters. What did they expect would happen if they went public ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    we have no idea what would happen if landed with anything like that amount. Of course it must change your life as suddenly everything is available (ok, not the USAF or a gold-plated ocean liner but you know what I mean). Would your children go nuts or just be normal. Would you want them to work or would you do a Bing Crosby (he didn't allow his 3 children to inherit until their 60th birthday). Would you dump the wife for a string of 'models' or just bail out to Monaco. It's a nice problem to have and I hope they cope but the reality maybe they live behind electric gates and surveillance
    M.Rushton
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mrushton wrote:
    we have no idea what would happen if landed with anything like that amount. Of course it must change your life as suddenly everything is available (ok, not the USAF or a gold-plated ocean liner but you know what I mean). Would your children go nuts or just be normal. Would you want them to work or would you do a Bing Crosby (he didn't allow his 3 children to inherit until their 60th birthday). Would you dump the wife for a string of 'models' or just bail out to Monaco. It's a nice problem to have and I hope they cope but the reality maybe they live behind electric gates and surveillance
    Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes. :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    it's a very difficult amount of money - to be honest it'll cause as many problems as it solves.

I'd actually (no really) prefer to win a regualr couple of milllion on a saturday night.

They have to go public- or else, as has been said, there is a media scrum to find out who they are - along with every ounce of dirt that can be found.

At 160Million - they now have access to "cash" like no royal family member or most wealthy businessmen have - those people might have assetts and income streams, but this couple have actual access to tons of cash!

how do you remain secure? where could you send your kids to school knowing that they wouldn't be kidnapped? (you'd pay the whole lot to get them back woudn't you?!!)

i think it would be very difficult. you would need to move a long way away and start again with hidden wealth and no friends! -

best of luck to them though - it'll certainly keep generations of their family in security for a long time.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I bet they have cleaned out their Tescos, Asda, Morrisons, Spar and Sainsburys of pies. They do look as if they like pies :shock: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna wrote:
    I bet they have cleaned out their Tescos, Asda, Morrisons, Spar and Sainsburys of pies. They do look as if they like pies :shock: .

Nah, it would be Marks and Spencer...they can afford it now.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As predicted......

"It won't change us."
    "We will stay in the same house."
    "I may treat her to a new car."

Some people don't deserve it :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    If you win it big the media dig up dirt on you?

I better stop buying lottery tickets.. :?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • verylonglegs
    As odd as it may seem to say about a couple who've suddenly won such an amount I actually pity them, they sound hopelessly naive. Won't change them? I think they'll have no choice.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    If you aren't going to change your life why buy a ticket?

It would sure as hell change mine, and for the better.

£160m+ is a brain frying amount though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • verylonglegs

I was thinking that too, if I was a journo at the press conference I think I'd have been asking it.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

I was thinking that too, if I was a journo at the press conference I think I'd have been asking it.

Worse than that..........They said that they would buy tickets for Saturdays draw :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    People just say stuff because they can't grasp the enormity of it all. They've gone from no-one to celebrity in a week and become some of the richest people in Britain. They should leave the country for a month or two, go on a cruise or something and just sit there and weigh up the options. Is their win a blessing or curse? We'll prob. find out in 18 mnths time.
    M.Rushton
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    If you choose anonymity the press are legaly bound not to publish anything unless it's of the public's interest. So even if your jealous 'friends' went to The Sun with a story about you, a sack of coke, a llama and couple of Russian sailors they can't print it. The last big Euro win in the UK was 117 mill and nobody knows who won it.

From the PCC website:

Winners who opt for anonymity

Under the terms of the licence granted to the lottery organisers Camelot, winners are entitled to anonymity. If winners do opt for anonymity, the Commission would generally expect the press to respect this wish. To do otherwise may raise issues under the terms of Clause 3 of the Code, which relates to privacy. There may of course be exceptions to this if newspapers and magazines can demonstrate that it is in the public interest to identify an individual against their wishes, although the Commission has noted before that the size of the win alone would not be a sufficient reason for such identification. The Commission notes that in the 9 years since publication of the first guidance note it has not had to deal with any formal complaints about such identification: a welcome sign that editors have respected both the wishes of individuals and the Commission’s guidance. The press should also not seek to obtain information about winners who have requested anonymity from their family, friends or colleagues through any form of harassment contrary to Clause 4 of the Code.

These muppets fucked up at the first hurdle. It's open season now.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    gkerr4 wrote:
    it's a very difficult amount of money - to be honest it'll cause as many problems as it solves.

I'd actually (no really) prefer to win a regualr couple of milllion on a saturday night.
    +1

I reckon that amount of cash could really screw up your life (whether you go public or not).
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    If I'd won that money I'd start UCI pro team off the interest.