What tyres out of these two?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
My Gatorskin 23s have seen better days, so I'm about to swap them for some fresh rubber* as ordered to by ITB (he can be very stern at the Morpeth).

I've got a pair of Maxxis Detonators 28s and a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard Sport 23s. Both virtually brand new (less than 10 miles on each). So the question is, which should I fit and why shouldn't I fit the other ones?

Judging by the price, I guess the Maxxis are the better tyres (they are more expensive) but are they really better?

*when ITB said "Get some fresh rubber", I think he was talking about my tyres, but the way that night went, maybe not
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    *when ITB said "Get some fresh rubber", I think he was talking about my tyres, but the way that night went, maybe not

WTF happened that night? Yes, I know, the first rule of Morpeth is you don't talk about Morpeth.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    i think those maxxis are the same maxxis that are stock with some boardmans hybrids, or at least last years..and i was recommended to change them immediately, so i did.. not sure if that helps!
  • EKE_38BPM
    The Maxxises came off the Boardman Hybrid that was bought by the Burd from ADonmall. He said he changed them straight away. They've still got the pimples on and look very fresh (if not completely unused).
    The Schwalbe came off the wheels I ordered from Varno.

Its because of what I've heard about the Maxxis that I'm asking this question.

Dhope, you know the rules: What happens in the basement of the Morpeth stays in the basement of the Morpeth.
    It was kind/wise of them to turn the basement CCTV monitor off otherwise everyone in the pub could've seen what I can't talk about.

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    My Gatorskin 23s have seen better days, so I'm about to swap them for some fresh rubber* as ordered to by ITB (he can be very stern at the Morpeth).
    Why ? have you started getting loads of punctures, or are the wires showing through the rubber ?
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've got a pair of Maxxis Detonators 28s and a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard Sport 23s.
    I know nothing of the Maxxis things, but the Blizzard Sports seem like a decent, tough tyre. One of my colleagues has been commuting from Ely, and training on the same pair for at least a year and a half. 14YO's Turbo Trainer doesn't seem to do them any harm.

But a decent 28mm tyre is going to feel a bit different from a decent 23mm tyre. Why not try both ?

Alternatively, perhaps more talcum powder would help.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    IMHO
    Blizzards wear quickly and are very puncture prone when worn, good for about 1000miles, rotate after about 300miles to prolong life.

Detonaters are heavy and stiff, you'll certainly feel the difference - but I've never worn a pair out as they were swapped before they died.

I just got a pair of Spec Turbo Elite (Specialized Summer Staff Offer = £10 each) and thought they were great until it rained when they went all skittery over any road markings/drains etc
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I had Detonators on a bike a couple of years ago and they were puncture magnets - swapped them for Schwalbes
  • EKE_38BPM
    I had Detonators on a bike a couple of years ago and they were puncture magnets - swapped them for Schwalbes

Cheers.
    Thats the kind of informantion I was after. Seems like the Detonators are stiff, heavy, puncture magnets. Not the idea replacements to fit for the Dynamo!

I don't get many visits from the fairy, but the rate at which the visits come has increased recently, which is why I'm thinking about replacing the Gatorskins.

I'll stick the Blizzards on for a few days and if they feel OK, I'll use them for the Dynamo (which I still haven't 100% decided to do yet).

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'll stick the Blizzards on for a few days and if they feel OK, I'll use them for the Dynamo
    See you there, glad you've decided.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo