How much

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
do you love commuting on your bike?

It is so refreshing and liberating. I want to do it every day but that's not possible unfortunately due to family etc, but managing 3 or 4 per week at 13 miles e/w.

Not a big fan of wind though. For some reason it doesn't seem to affect others like it does me, they just whizz past whilst I fight every stroke

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    | ***************************************************************** |

^ that much.

Took the tube home today & I just though most people on it were mad not to by cycling. Don't know how they stand it every day.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    jds_1981 wrote:
    | ***************************************************************** |

^ that much.

Took the tube home today & I just though most people on it were mad not to by cycling. Don't know how they stand it every day.

They stand it because cycling is very dangerous and it rains every other day.

That or because they are idiots who like to pay a lot of money to be treated worse than cattle.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I had to go on the tube last week to a meeting with my boss. Horrid, hot, sweaty, cramped, expensive, slow.

Crap. I really really don't miss paying £12 per day for my commute and standing at stations waiting 20 minutes for a connection and then being delayed etc etc
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i like the 1st half of my commute. Once i get into town its far to dangerous, and its cyclists in the main that make it so. Well if students on bikes can be classed as cyclists.

Have packed it in till i can find a route that avoids the centre of town.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Joelsim wrote:
    do you love commuting on your bike?

Now, it's OK.

In winter, when I'm changing into my still damp kit after 10pm to ride home in the cold, wind and rain, it ain't so good.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    It is, by some margin, the best part of my working day.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Gussio wrote:
    This
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's great, nice fresh air at 7:15 when I leave home, on the way back I have a short uphill (gets teh bllod going) before hitting 40 down the other side......and half my trousers no longer fit as they are too big!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Loads, but, yesterday and today were two of the least enjoyable rides in I can remember. Riding like a bag of spanners generally, a couple of numpty bits of riding from me and from others and just impatience on my part.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I love it so much that tears of joy stream down my face as I'm cycling and I sing Abba songs at the top of my voice and I have an erection
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

That or because they are idiots who like to pay a lot of money to be treated worse than cattle.

Cycling deaths in the low hundred range.

Car deaths in the thousands.

Think again?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gilesjuk wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Think again?

Ithink he was joking....maybe.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I love it so much that tears of joy stream down my face as I'm cycling and I sing Abba songs at the top of my voice and I have an erection

You are still getting the treatment right?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm glad you came along to the Wheelers meet last week and have posted on the Embankment Scavenger thread. I will now be able to recognise you even if you pause between said songs and avoid you like the plague ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I enjoyed my commute by car this morning, mainly because I was listening to Wu Tang
  • bails87 wrote:
    gilesjuk wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Think again?

I think EKE's first line was him highlighting the (fallacious) argument that many use against cycling - just look at the thread in the 'other place'about cycling in London being suicide!

Mind, they may have a point about the rain, not that I have noticed any rust on my body yet ...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    It's a large part of my life, well it does make up the best bits of my daily routine :)

Sadly I'm cutting back for a while to get over some long-term injuries.

Taking the scooter instead, which isn't really any faster, and isn't as good to filter on, but still beats car/tube/train :)
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    bails87 wrote:
    gilesjuk wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Think again?

I think EKE's first line was him highlighting the (fallacious) argument that many use against cycling - just look at the thread in the 'other place'about cycling in London being suicide!

Mind, they may have a point about the rain, not that I have noticed any rust on my body yet ...

My word. Their RLJ thread got to 10 posts - we have two on the first page at six pages each!

I've been to better attended Gary Glitter concerts.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    This

It counts as work?! Time for a payrise!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    cjcp wrote:
    Riding like a bag of spanners generally

Really noisily? :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    cjcp wrote:
    Riding like a bag of spanners generally

Really noisily? :D

Holding nuts?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

You are still getting the treatment right?

He's getting his hair cut....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Keeps me sane(ish) 8)
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Gussio wrote:
    +100
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: