Off topic .... Pod coffee machines

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
anybody got any views on these pod coffee machines, I'm looking for one to take on holidays as the house one is way too big and mrs g would go ballistic if I suggested it. Ive seen a few of these pod machines and was wondering if anybody has one

Comments

• GoldenBear
    GoldenBear Posts: 120
    edited July 2011
  • gwillis
    Was thinking nespresso , make home machine takes 20 mins to warm up and I always forget to order beans .
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    I hate coffee but my wife swears by her nespresso.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • MattJPaul
    MattJPaul Posts: 95
    Nespresso is mighty tasty but packs a punch in the pocket when it comes to needing more pods.
  • gwillis
    coffee isn't cheap full stop these day. somebody suggested the lavazza moda mio but you can't use anybody else's pods so not sure about that one
  • 37monkey
    37monkey Posts: 141
    have a look at coffee duck, it's a refillable pod
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Wouldn't swap my Nespresso for anything and I've had other pod based machines previously.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited July 2011
    Wouldn't swap my £3 Smart Cafe cafetiere mug for anything
  • 37monkey wrote:
    have a look at coffee duck, it's a refillable pod

We've got a Senseo which was half price or thereabouts at Comet, and the Coffee Duck is a lifesaver, use any ground coffee in it rather than having to buy pods. I like Cafe Direct Rich Roast.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a Nesspresso. not a fan of the Ducks too much hassle and not got a good coffee out one one yet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    41plpqZxq7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have this Magimix Nespresso machine and cannot fault it,heat's the milk up and froth's it up....

I cant recomend it highly enough..
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    bompington wrote:
    Wouldn't swap my £3 Smart Cafe cafetiere mug for anything

+1 Especially at work when everyone else is using one of those horrible Klicks machines and I just the hot tap on the water dispenser to make a real coffee.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Nah

Do it properly: trad Italian coffee maker thingy like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

You can get them in any size, either stove top version or plug in version: smaller than pod machine, cheaper to use, cooler, impossible to break.

Chuck in bucket of water to cool down/clean.

And a lot, lot cheaper to buy.

Nothing like real coffee first thing in the morning from one. Add a dash of Grappa or Sambuca if you need a small kick to get going.

Its only my humble opinion, but 've never been 100% won over by pod machines - but that's just me, please don't shout at me!
  • Don't waste your money, get a proper espresso machine and a decent grinder. Otherwise you might as well drink the p**s that you get in stosta and carbucks for the price and taste you get from pods.
  • GoldenBear
    GoldenBear Posts: 120
    edited July 2011
  • GoldenBear wrote:
    Don't waste your money, get a proper espresso machine and a decent grinder. Otherwise you might as well drink the p**s that you get in stosta and carbucks for the price and taste you get from pods.

He has. He wanted a small one to take on holiday...

I must be happy drinking wee-wee as I like the pod coffee and for the cost of the machine/good grinder and getting decent beans it's just not worth the extra tiny bit of taste...

Sounds like the people that say you should only buy Rapha and Assos because Gore and Etxe Ondo are as sh1t as Aldi.

No it's not. You have so much to learn :)
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Problem with nespresso is that it ties you into buying only nescafe pods - there is an industry standard called ESE that is supported my most of the decent coffee brands eg lavazza & Lilly etc. They also fit in most coffee machines - sometimes needing a little adapter.

Perhaps not as good as grinding your own - but quicker cleaner and less hassle
  • If on holiday why not find a decent cafe, got to be a better option in every sense except perhaps convenience, but it is a holiday after all.
  • gwillis
    At home I'm fortunate to have a ex cafe rancillio machine and san Marco grinder... lovely coffee but I'm going over to a rural area of France to stay with family so a pod machine seems a good second choice ..

was offered a lavazza modo mio which gets pretty good reviews so bit the bullet and bought it tonight.

stove tops are good I know also.

thanks guys
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    We can't live without our Nespresso, so we take it on holiday with us. We even took it to Italy and it'll be going touring Scotland next month. Had it ten years, use it every day and if it ever fails we'll buy another one immediately.

Enough of a recommendation?
  • De Longhi EC152 at £40 gets a Which Best Buy. Might be worth checking out with a can of illy