"Sucking noise" in new forks

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,664
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys

I ve had some new rks (SID RLT Ti) for a couple of months (about 150-200km? riding) and they ve started making a sucking noise on the rebound stroke. I would guess that this is a new fork/new seal problem but can someone put my mind at ease? I'm going to do twentyfour 12 next weekend so it would be good if they worked for that!

Cheers
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are working.

have you just adjusted the rebound?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Good man Nick

Adjusted it a tad recently yep...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's just the rebound damping. Oil being sucked/pushed through holes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • moster
    moster Posts: 121
    I had this issue with my Reba's - they were getting pretty noisy and was thinking they needed serviced.

I had been thinking the forks weren't working for me properly anyway so I decided to set them up from scratch again to see if I could get them more to my liking. I followed Supersonic's sticky re setting up forks in the FAQ ie decompressed both chambers etc etc...

This completely sorted the noise issue too - I have no idea how as this isn't what I was trying to achieve but it seemed to work. :)

Might be worth a bash as only took 5 mins
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • j4mesj4mes
    j4mesj4mes Posts: 138
    Moster, do you have a link? I checked what I thought was the correct sticky but cannot see it.
    Thank you
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is a set up link in the FAQ. But rest assured, sucking and gasping noises are the dampers. If you have high floodgate and compression, you will often hear it, especially over sharp hits. Similarly for high rebound.

Adjusting air pressure alters the load on the dampers, so may change the noise.