Thanks to this morning's samaritan...

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
...on a Boardman, for stopping to attend to the cyclist on a victim of a hit and run on the Jamaica Road at 10am this morning. Thanks also to the Morrison Utility Services chap (white van man!) for delivering capable first aid to the head wound.

The lad was in shock so couldn't really say a lot about what had happened but the account, presumably given by the victim before he shut down, was of a lorry running him off a single carriageway alongside road works.

As for the witnesses who drove on just like the hit and run driver, and every other single driver and cyclist who simply passed by after the event, do not try to console yourself with the idea that you are time-poor. The fact is, you are humanity-poor and you really frighten me.

Comments

• CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    ...on a Boardman, for stopping to attend to the cyclist on a victim of a hit and run on the Jamaica Road at 10am this morning. Thanks also to the Morrison Utility Services chap (white van man!) for delivering capable first aid to the head wound.

The lad was in shock so couldn't really say a lot about what had happened but the account, presumably given by the victim before he shut down, was of a lorry running him off a single carriageway alongside road works.

As for the witnesses who drove on just like the hit and run driver, and every other single driver and cyclist who simply passed by after the event, do not try to console yourself with the idea that you are time-poor. The fact is, you are humanity-poor and you really frighten me.

I really don't understand how people could just pass by. That is pretty much as low as you can go. Doesn't seem any better than the person who knowcked him off. Fingers crossed he is ok.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    How many people do there need to be at the scene and doing something before it's better to keep going than just become a gawker?

I've passed a couple of accidents and not stopped because there have already been people surrounding victim, directing/stopping traffic and obviously on phone to emergency services. On those occasions, I've kept going while sending a positive thought that all will turn out OK for the victim. I can't imagine being first/second etc on the scene and not stopping.

Was the chap OK this morning?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Funnily enough I agree with all of these posts. Very difficult to help if there are already people sorting it out, likewise very poor for witnesses not to stop.
  • How many people do there need to be at the scene and doing something before it's better to keep going than just become a gawker?

I've passed a couple of accidents and not stopped because there have already been people surrounding victim, directing/stopping traffic and obviously on phone to emergency services. On those occasions, I've kept going while sending a positive thought that all will turn out OK for the victim. I can't imagine being first/second etc on the scene and not stopping.

Was the chap OK this morning?

He had pretty bad lacerations to the side of the head, a little road rash on his forehead and a cut over his temple. I hope that it was that cut which was making his vision in one eye blurred. He'd lost quite a bit of blood and was holding onto his right foot, which was clearly giving him pain. And when the police and ambulance eventually arrived he was no longer able to give a lucid account of what happened.

So, no, he wasn't ok. He'll recover and take the train into work in the future.

Luckily there's a CCTV just up the road - it might have caught what the witnesses didn't have enough precious time to report.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Ouch - sounds nasty and I hope it looked worse than it was. I seem to recall from my first aid course that head wounds can bleed excessively but the blurred vision doesn't sound good. Hopefully the lack of lucidity is shock rather than anything more serious.

Fingers crossed that the CCTV was recording and with decent visibility so that the driver can be prosecuted.

Btw - well done to you for stopping too and sounds like staying with him for a while.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941

That you who had the accident m8?
  • Pufftmw wrote:

No, not me. I arrived about 10 minutes after the accident and only one cyclist (young guy on Boardman) had stopped before me.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    +1 for having my fingers crossed that the incident was captured on CCTV
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like concussion, not necesarily serious.

Scalp wounds bleed like buggery as bigger blood vessels are closer to the surface as they can't be buried any deeper!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Pufftmw wrote:

No, not me. I arrived about 10 minutes after the accident and only one cyclist (young guy on Boardman) had stopped before me.

Glad to hear it. It was just the way the post(s) were written that made me wonder..