2 days before Les Gets, and we've not got a WHAT!?!? HELP!!!

number4
number4 Posts: 8
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Hi All!

I'm a New member hear, but defiantly not new to bikes! I do most of my riding around Cannock Chase, as well as a fair bit of road riding. I'm also massively into motorbike's, and until recently, & due to a lack of money, did loads of club level road racing on a GSXR 600, then a Triumph 675, basically if its got two wheels I'm well into it!

Anyway, on Thursday I'm heading down to Les Gets for 10 days, with a mate, both of us are first timers in Les Gets, but being the organized types, we've sorted out what we're taking, and everything, the only things we've not sorted yet are...

1) where were staying.
2) our lift passes.

So with 2 days to go we have to sort out 2 fairly important things to sort out, but hey, Neil Armstrong got to the moon in 3 days so how hard can it be...

We hear there is a decent camp site in the Village about 600 Meters from the main ski lift, so to be fair I think we'll just stay there... Has anyone been?

But what I'd really like to know is where on earth do you actually buy the lift passes from? The corner shop? The dodgy looking French bloke "from down the pub" who can sort you out with anything, ranging from a Nissan Micra to a toaster "for forty quid, no questions asked..." (do they have them in france?) I don't know!?!?

I've found a website telling me how much they are, what the weathers like, how deep the snow is in winter, where the hotels are, and, well, just about everything, apart from where you can buy a bloody lift pass from, then I found another website with this girl who... Ooh, No wait thats something else...

Back on subject, I even tried phoning someone in Les Gets. Unfortunately this is when I realized my French sucks. She didn't understand a word I said, and I didn't understand her either, I'm fairly sure she thought I was Johnny Knoxville.

Anyhow, lift passes. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers All, Sean.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The ski lift?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • number4
    yeah, they convert them for bike don't they?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Since you've left it this late, best not worry about it now.

Head for the tourist office in Morzine they'll sort you out. They speak English of course, but it is polite to try your GCSE French out :-)

From memory lift passes are a no-brainer (probably the kiosk at the bottom of the big gondolas).

I stayed at the campsite in Les Gets, it's I short cycle to and from the Gondola but it's liable to be booked up this time of year.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I know the answer to your problem but Im so jealous that Im not telling you..

/may not be true
  • number4
    Aah thats good news then on the lift pass. :D

Me attempting French sounds a bit like Eerm... well its not good, lol anyway

Booked UP!?! :shock: IT CANT BE!
  • number4
    Just remembered the last time I tried speaking French actually, I was on the ferry back from Le Mans last year, I asked for a Curry, and ended up with fish and chips... :D
  • number4
    dan shard wrote:
    I know the answer to your problem but Im so jealous that Im not telling you..

Well that's about as much use as a wet wipe in a forest fire! :D

But yeah, I can't wait, it's going to be an awesome week!!!
  • cooldad
    number4 wrote:
    I meant buy them at the ski lift
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    edited July 2011
    double post
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • number4
    cooldad wrote:
    number4 wrote:
    I meant buy them at the ski lift

Perfect, Cheers pal!
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I don't remember a campsite nearby but that was two years ago.
    If your going by motorhome you can stay free at an 'air' which is about two kilometres away. The place is quite upmarket and sort of surreal after blighty. No-one seems to lock their bikes. Food and drink is very expensive unless you go to the little shop in the town.
    The DH red run is like a black run here so take full face and armour.
    Don't worry about lift tickets, as stated, they sell them at the lift quite legit. Put some old innertubes on your forks or the muppets putting your bike on the lift will scratch them (trust me..)
    You'll have a blast though..
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I would lock your bike if I was you - unless you are sat very close to it. There have historically been a lot of thefts in the area preying on tourists.
    If you dont want to camp you can get cheap accom through the tourist info website but may be a little late to arrange that now I guess.
    Have fun - start slow, go big.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • number4
    al2098 wrote:
    I don't remember a campsite nearby but that was two years ago.
    If your going by motorhome you can stay free at an 'air' which is about two kilometres away. The place is quite upmarket and sort of surreal after blighty. No-one seems to lock their bikes. Food and drink is very expensive unless you go to the little shop in the town.
    The DH red run is like a black run here so take full face and armour.
    Don't worry about lift tickets, as stated, they sell them at the lift quite legit. Put some old innertubes on your forks or the muppets putting your bike on the lift will scratch them (trust me..)
    You'll have a blast though..

Cheers for the Inner-tube tip, Motorhome, well we've only got an Alfa Romeo and a tent unfortunately, but its a HUGE tent, that will actually fit the car in it! bit on the big side for 2 people really, but ooh well... Maybe that will count as a motorhome??? No?

The lad I'm going with is hugely paranoid about having his bike stolen, so reassurance is great thanks.