popping the front up

jozeppi
jozeppi Posts: 40
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Got a new mtb but have noticed it takes a lot more effort popping the front over obsticles
would a shorter stem and more rise on the bars make it less stressfull on my dodgy shoulder my stem110mm 10 degree rise and bars 6 degree sweep 13mm rise 620 wide any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    deffo a shorter stem 70mm or so
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    yeah, different bikes react in completely different ways. I noticed a huge difference going from my cube AMS 100 to my Trek Remedy 8. At first I couldnt bunny hop the remedy no matter how hard I tried, but now that Ive got used to the feel of the bike and how it reacts, its actually easier to get higher.

If I were you, Id leave it as it is and just keep practicing it. you might find that once youve got the feel of the bike, its actually easier
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Shifting your weight straight back also makes a huge difference! Rather than trying to pull UP on the bars, shift your weight forward and down to compress the forks then shift your weight STRAIGHT BACK, over the saddle and allow your arms to straighten while pushing forward a bit with your legs. The front of the bike should then become much lighter and begin to lift. (not that I'm any expert on these things but I have been watching a few technique videos and it certainly made life much easier to get the front up.

I use the same technique on bith my HT with a 90mm stem and my full susser with a 70mm stem. Feels no easier/harder on either
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Does take time to get used to a new bike, I've just changed mine and can't manual atm but could on the old one, just keep riding and trying :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    So the move you are trying to replicate is a push down on the front suspension then explode up and back through arms and legs - dont pull up on the bars - just let them follow your move, front end will lift and hey presto its done. This is the simplest front wheel lift and best practiced in a flat area with a small branch as an obstacle - increase the size of the obstacle as you get better.
    This then builds to a full on manual. But that's another story.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    So the move you are trying to replicate is a push down on the front suspension then explode up and back through arms and legs - dont pull up on the bars - just let them follow your move, front end will lift and hey presto its done. This is the simplest front wheel lift and best practiced in a flat area with a small branch as an obstacle - increase the size of the obstacle as you get better.
    This then builds to a full on manual. But that's another story.

Yeh, haven't figured the manual out myself yet either. Can get me wheel up no problem but I keep bottling it before the balance point :roll: