Where to cycle in mid Wales ?

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
my partner and I are staying at Rhayader (Powys )for a week in August and would like to hire bikes and go out for the day to explore a bit and have a picnic lunch.

We would prefer easy cycling with minimal off-road as we are both unfit.Must be scenic and preferably flattish and probably limited to about 35 miles a day .

We would appreciate any suggestions within 50 miles or so from Rhayader with perhaps cycle paths or river / canal towpaths /reservoir loops etc

Comments

• Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    No need to travel outside of Rhyader TBH - plenty of fantastic routes and roads around the Elan Valley which is on the doorstep.
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    Very scenic and bike hire is available here...

http://www.clivepowell-mtb.co.uk/thebikeshop.php

Hth
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • peanut
    wow thats quick! :shock: thank you for the suggestions I'll take a looksee. I know very little about Wales having only visited 5-6 times so I didn't know quite where to start really. :roll:

The Elan Valley is perfect! looks like a beautifull scenic route around the reservoirs with plenty of picnic and photographic opportunities . :D

I'm a roadie and only know abour roadrace bikes. What type of bike would you recommend hiring for just pootling around the lanes and cyclepaths etc ?
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    The Elan valley is indeed perfect. Powell also has an eating place nearby much recommended if open to non-course riders. Swimming pool also nice.
    You might want to book your bike hire in advance.
    Gigrin Farm is well worth a trip when they are feeding the kites, but that might not be now. There is a cycle track off road most of the way to and from it.
    Don't forget to look in the national cycle museum at llandrindod wells while you are near.

The shop will give you hybrids or mtb's as you like. I prefer mudguards.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • peanut
    thanks priory. i phoned Neil at the bike shop and he said he will sort us out a couple of hybrids when we get down there.

We have booked a weeks stay at Gigrin farm specifically to photograph the kites and other Bop which we are really looking forward to.

During the day we'll explore the area and hopefully cycle and kayak . I'm still looking for somewhere to hire kayaks locally. I would imagine there must be a local club with 4x reservoirs nearby.

I noticed there is a leisure centre so we can swim which will be welcome and there is a fish n chip shop ...perfect.

It looks like its going to be a perfect break.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Rhayader is great. It's like being in a 1950's Alec Guiness film... a GOOD thing.
  • peanut
    thats my kinda era lol :lol: as long as I don't have to dress up and ride an 'ordinary' :wink: