SPD-SLs vs Look Keo

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Another daft pedal question. What's people's opinions on Look Keo vs SPD-SL road pedals? Looking for something around £50 so Speedplay is out, and don't really have any great demands apart from something that is relatively easy to clip in and out of (coming from a SPD background), good power transfer, resilient and light, probably in that order of importance.

I've seen both Keo Classics and Ultegra PD6700s at around the right price. The Keos are slightly lighter but I've heard reports that the SPD-SLs don't wear as quickly, have a better wider platform and are easier to walk in (admittedly a minor concern).

Anyone tried both? Any horror stories/good points about either? Anyone want to swap a newish pair of either with cleats for some 150-mile A600 SPDs with brand new cleats? :)
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I was *just* about to create a thread about this.... Planning to ditch SPDs and get new shoes/pedals for two sportives I have coming up.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you fancy speedplays then why not look on ebay?

Pedals get scuffed pretty quickly so i wouldn't be too precious about getting a second hand pair.

Not used SPD-SLs but I've got Keo Sprints and Keo Max2s. Both are good. You hear people talk about clicking so squeeking Keos due to crap in the barings, but I've not had any issues with then. Shouldn't think there was much difference between them and SPD-SLs.

I only chose to have Sprints because they were red and it matched the bike at the time, and that's the most important thing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I bought Ultegra SPD SLs in late 2007, fitted them to my then new bike and have usde them since, no adjustments or fettling ever needed... Still going strong...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Dura-Ace SPD SL's for me, and would recommend them. Cleats last for ages and good grip if you need to walk. They clip in when I want and they clip out when I want, they also have a low stack height. I have only used the old style Looks prior to this so maybe not the best person to make a comparison.

Oh I did own some Speedplays for a week but felt like I was walking on ice so ditched them.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ok look at it this way:
    Speedplays
    initial cost - £100
    Cleats - £35
    Cleats should last a year or two depending on mileage.

Keo/Spd-Sl
    Initial cost - £50
    Cleats - £15
    Cleats will probably last 3months So you buy another 3 pairs of cleats in the year that the speedplay cleats last thats another £45 on top.

That works out around the same amount over the space of the first year.

Speeplays seem expensive to start with but over the course of a few years will work out cheaper.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ok look at it this way:
    Speedplays
    initial cost - £100
    Cleats - £35

Keo/Spd-Sl
    Initial cost - £50
    Cleats - £15
    Cleats will probably last 3months So you buy another 3 pairs of cleats in the year that the speedplay cleats last thats another £45 on top.

Speeplays seem expensive to start with but over the course of a few years will work out cheaper.

My SPD SL cleats are still going from 2007... I guess it depends on how much walking you do in them, I walk from teh back garden to the gate and back at the end of the ride and that's about it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Keo Easys can be had for £30 rather than 50 and you can get cleats for £10 so Spasypaddys comparison doesn't work so well!

You can get cleat covers as well which prolong life and the 3 month lifespan is pesimistic. My first ones lasted a year (without the cleat covers) - that included a fair bit of commuting before I started uusing SPDs for the commute.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ok look at it this way:
    Speedplays
    initial cost - £100
    Cleats - £35

Keo/Spd-Sl
    Initial cost - £50
    Cleats - £15

I got myself some Ultegra SPD-SL when I bought my last bike, last a year and a half until I considered replacing them, and I would consider that I walked in them a lot
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my look cleats lasted 3 months with minimal walking and not even huge distances. im basing it off my own usage. i have 3 sets of speedplay cleats that are 3 years old and still good as the day i bought them
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I used to ride SPD-SL, switched about a month ago to Keo Max (got some free, so thought I'd try them out). So far SPD-SL are easier to walk in, provide a slightly larger platform to push on and hence may be more comfortable (pretty marginal though). The Keos are lighter and seem to have a lower Q factor, if that suits you. Clipping in is about the same with either. I don't know about cleat wear yet, though my SPD-SLs lasted for ages, continuing to work well even when they looked worn down to nothing.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • keyser__soze
    Thanks guys, erring towards the SPD-SLs for the durability/walking factor. Though I'll have SPDs on the usual commuter I've used the best bike a bit on the trip to work recently thanks to the nice weather and I'll probably chew through the Look cleats in no time.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    No experience of the SPD-SLs but have been happy with my Look Keos (cleats are now 5yrs old and showing no sign of needing replacing).
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • keyser__soze
    Ultegras ordered. Missus has plumped for the Keo Classics. May have to compare/contrast at some point.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ultegras ordered. Missus has plumped for the Keo Classics. May have to switch them from her bike to mine at some point if they turn out to be better.

FTFY
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Fairly immaterial now as the deal has been done, but was reading a review recently in Cycling + that rated a cheap pair of Raleigh Keo style pedals very highly. In the same review they gave SPD SLs an equal 5 star review and Keo classics no more than 4 1/2.

I had some old Look Deltas that I wasn't overly fond of and have a used pair of 105 SLs knocking around that I have yet to try, but will give a shot to soon (good to hear you guys like them).

None of the pedals discussed above will be anywhere near as easy to clip in and out of than your SPDs, but they are not intended to be either.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    and nobody's commented on the pair of keo's that cost over a grand...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]