Daft places to cycle

2»

Comments

• Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Occasionally I commute via the A24 in West Sussex, specifically this bit: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Wat ... sz=16&z=13
    National speed limit dual-carriageway, so motor traffic is doing 70mph and quite often higher until it gets to the roundabout. I'm with Hebdenbiker - it's not particularly fun, particularly during rush hour, but I've every right to be there and it's the quickest route to work. Perhaps counter-intuitively I'm in some ways safer than when I'm riding through a 30 or 40mph speed limit ride with lots of junctions, parked cars, witless peds and other hazards. The traffic is fast, but the road is wide and well sighted - I can be seen from a long way back, and the traffic pulling out from the few side roads is paying keen attention (of course, there is the potential "SMIDSY" effect of people actively looking for other motor vehicles and simply not 'seeing' the cyclist they did not expect to be there...). I don't think it's the daftest place I've ever cycled.

I've ridden some muddy off-road tracks and dusty flint (big lumps of the stuff) tracks, not daft in itself until you consider I was on a light weight, fast road bike with skinny tyres and low spoke-count wheels...
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    CiB wrote:
    Bad place to cycle? The A421 out of Buckingham last night, where I was doing a little bit extra for my failing Stats cause. A lorry passed me giving me plenty of space, bounced over slight a dip in the road and the rear door swung open. Ever seen projectile vomiting? Out of the now open door spewed endless food waste, thick & deep covering half the c/way for the next ¼ mile down to the roundabout. The stench was foul; despite picking my way through it as best I could, when I got home I had to hose the bike down and pick bits out from around the brakes (or breaks as some would have it). God it was foul. I can report that food waste looks and smells the same as if it's already been eaten once.

Reported it to PC Plod, woke up this morning to hear the road closure on R2 Travel News.

Grim!

I just missed this story on the news as I set off this morning (I'm just up the road near Towcester). A friend of mine does that commute as he works in Buckingham - if he calls me up asking to fix his bike for him I'll know to refuse until he's cleaned it!
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Indeed. I guess many readers here won't be aware of the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge ... Which I believe is unique in the UK as a crossing and worth a visit for any tourist - just a mile from this crossing.

Used to be able to cycle across the top of the transporter before they removed one staircase, wouldn't have fancied carrying a fully laden tourer up & down the stairs though.

You can still walk across the top of Newport's Transporter, but only on the one day per year the 'Friends of Newport Transporter Bridge' have an open day and the staircases are unlocked (I think they lock them to discourage suicide jumpers). The views are amazing, but it's a long way to lug a bike up stairs, esp. loaded with touring luggage.

The bridge is part of a route I used to cycle regualrly as a teenage trainspotter in the 60s while there was still a chance of seeing steam engines at Severn Tunnel Junction. I also think it looks nicer than the Middlesborough one, and I am from Cardiff where we never have anything good to say about Newport (pointless place, why bother when Cardiff is only 12 miles up the road....). Middlesborough's is a fine beast, though.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Norky wrote:
    Occasionally I commute via the A24 in West Sussex, specifically this bit: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Wat ... sz=16&z=13
    National speed limit dual-carriageway, so motor traffic is doing 70mph and quite often higher until it gets to the roundabout. I'm with Hebdenbiker - it's not particularly fun, particularly during rush hour, but I've every right to be there and it's the quickest route to work. Perhaps counter-intuitively I'm in some ways safer than when I'm riding through a 30 or 40mph speed limit ride with lots of junctions, parked cars, witless peds and other hazards. The traffic is fast, but the road is wide and well sighted - I can be seen from a long way back, and the traffic pulling out from the few side roads is paying keen attention (of course, there is the potential "SMIDSY" effect of people actively looking for other motor vehicles and simply not 'seeing' the cyclist they did not expect to be there...). I don't think it's the daftest place I've ever cycled.

I've ridden some muddy off-road tracks and dusty flint (big lumps of the stuff) tracks, not daft in itself until you consider I was on a light weight, fast road bike with skinny tyres and low spoke-count wheels...

Yes, I've ridden on lots of A roads and dual carriageways and once you get over the initial fear of cars flying past you at 70, it feels pretty safe, as you say, there are no buses pulling out, mopeds weaving round you, peds walking out in front of you on the phone etc etc
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    thecrofter wrote:
    They had to shut the Forth bridge last year as some old codger was cycling across the main carriageway. There is a cycleway on both sides.

Guilty as charged 12 years ago :oops:

I was on the bike path on the approach to the bridge and saw a tractor on my outside.
    I jumped at the ideal draughting opportunity to get a tow up and over the crest.

Only to be met by plod at the other end. I received a severe ticking off and won't repeat it but I must admit to enjoying the trip over.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    When your on your you have to take most of the roads as they come! Ended up on a few motorways in France, promptly got off but you sure make good progress! :twisted: