What makes me sick?

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
So Ive been watch the TDF for the last week and I have to say it has effected my commute. Yesterday I did the first 5 miles on the drops at a TT effort then when I joined the main road I spotted my SCR nemisis and decided to pretend I was at an 'intermediate sprint' point blasting through a sleepy Essex village, this effort was immediatley followed by extreme nausea/ a real need to vomit.

What I want to know is what, biologicaly speaking, causes me to be sick after extreme efforts.

Cheers

W

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Your not fit enough.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited July 2011
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Your not fit enough.

This^ (although I would have gone for a 'you're' but the sentiment's the same).

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who now finds himself trying to do pathetic attempts at Cavesque sprints when the road is open simply because I've been watching the TDF.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Jonny Wilkinson trains until he feels sick and he's pretty fit.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Jonny Wilkinson trains until he feels sick and he's pretty fit.
    but not fit enough or he wouldn't be training, hmm?

Yep, used to vom/retch after interval training
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I've passed out on a few occasions after physical effort, then been sick when I woke up such is my level of unfitness :oops:

I assume it's just because your heart can't pump blood to your brain fast enough.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    The thing with feeling sick is to do with the volume of blood required by the stomach to process food.

When you are in high exertion, your body needs all the blood it can muster to carry oxygen to the muscles. The stomach uses a significant volume of blood when processing food, so your body encourages you to jettison the food to reclaim that blood for oxygen transfer.

I think I got that from here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-at-Extreme ... 0006551254

One of the best books I have ever read.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:
    I've passed out on a few occasions after physical effort, then been sick when I woke up such is my level of unfitness :oops:

I assume it's just because your heart can't pump blood to your brain fast enough.

We've already had this discussion you daft mare. Everyone here is generally in awe of your mental strength and that time you mentioned you collapsed on the side of the road because you'd pushed yourself so hard got you huge amounts of kudos.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Sorry meant to add a :lol: after my comment.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    welkman wrote:
    So Ive been watch the TDF for the last week and I have to say it has effected my commute. Yesterday I did the first 5 miles on the drops at a TT effort then when I joined the main road I spotted my SCR nemisis and decided to pretend I was at an 'intermediate sprint' point blasting through a sleepy Essex village, this effort was immediatley followed by extreme nausea/ a real need to vomit.

What I want to know is what, biologicaly speaking, causes me to be sick after extreme efforts.

Cheers

W

I thought everyone knew this - it's weakness leaving the body.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • welkman
    jds_1981 wrote:
    welkman wrote:

Cheers

W

I thought everyone knew this - it's weakness leaving the body.

Ah that explains it :D
  • welkman
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Your not fit enough.

This^ (although I would have gone for a 'you're' but the sentiment's the same).

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who now finds himself trying to do pathetic attempts at Cavesque sprints when the road is open simply because I've been watching the TDF.

I think they should make cav ride my kona with loaded panniers and 32mm marathon + tyres!

Did you see the footage of him after the last stage win, think he looked like he was going to chuck, could be the massive oxygen debt?