Can someone explain the rules regarding sprints

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited July 2011 in Pro race
So, maybe my misunderstanding, but I thought that you had to hold a line and not cross, as it was dangerous.

Reason I ask is that I was watching the 1st week round up last night and on more than one sprint Feillu seems to be mving left and right through the field across the path of other riders. Is this allowed or not just been picked up?
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    "The guys did a great job, but as usual Romain Feillu - he causes havoc in every sprint," said Cavendish.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    If you are coming from behind I think you can change direction to engineer a route to the front. Its more dangerous if those on the front keep changing course. Though it seems that what ever Cav does is illegal and the others can do as they like :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    My understanding is it's fine as long as you don't put others at risk.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    While we are asking questions about sprints, I don't understand why they all veer all over the road. Surely the fastest way from A to B is in a straight line, so why not ride in a straight line?

The only reason that occurs to me is to confuse those behind you and possibly keep them off your wheel, but I'm probably wrong there.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I think thats right Mad. They want to get away from those behind so they can't be jumped
  • I thought they veered across the road to find the best line? ie. avoid pot-holes, bad surface etc???
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I thought they veered across the road to find the best line? ie. avoid pot-holes, bad surface etc???

The roads in France are almost perfect. Very few potholes or bad surfaces. I don't think it's that IMHO.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    brettjmcc wrote:
    So, maybe my misunderstanding, but I thought that you had to hold a line and not cross, as it was dangerous.

Reason I ask is that I was watching the 1st week round up last night and on more than one sprint Feillu seems to be mving left and right through the field across the path of other riders. Is this allowed or not just been picked up?

The UCI rule is:

"Riders shall be strictly forbidden to deviate from the lane they selected when launching into the sprint and, in so doing, endangering others."

So, it's ambiguous on whether endangering others is a necessary condition for an infringement. They probably mean for it to be necessary, but have just written the rule like a complete fool.

Basically, the recurring theme through the UCI rule book is a lack of clarity - they leave as much open to interpretation as possible.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    They have to be allowed some deviation in order to get around slower riders. The line is sort of drawn at any manoeuvre that causes another rider to take avoiding action i.e slowing down or swerving to avoid a collision. One problem is that the finishes tend to funnel slightly due to the grandstand, parking areas etc. so someone might sprint straight based on the central lines whilst getting closer to the barrier as happened in the Cav / Hushovd incident 2 years ago.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Well apparently Griepel has an issue with Feillu...
    Greipel accused Feillu of switching wheels several times in the breathless run-in to Lavaur and showing little consideration for the safety of his fellow sprinters. The German was particularly aggrieved by Feillu’s attempts to latch onto Roedlandt’s wheel in the final kilometre.

"Romain Feillu did a crazy sprint and he just didn’t care," Greipel claimed. "He needs to choose a wheel but he changes wheel every 50 metres. It’s pretty dangerous when somebody in the bunch is going crazy to get the right spot."
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon