rear wheel advice

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited July 2011 in The workshop
Hi, I noticed my Mavic Askium is a bit buckled and it appeared to be rubbing against my mudguard intermittently (I loosened the rear brakes to avoid rubbage). How is it possible to fix this? Is this what people mean by 'trueing'?

Also, I'm running a 23c gatorskin on the back - would running something fatter reduce the chance of this happening again? I also put a Hamax on the back sometimes with a chunky baby in it and I'm no featherweight myself. Worth getting some 32 spokers (or more?)

Thanks!

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    23c with a baby seat? Your poor wheel :lol:

36 spokes and something fatter (not inflated to the maximum pressure) might be easier on the wheels. I ruined a back wheel (spokes ripped out of rim) running full pressure on a spesh armadillo with similarly heavyweight childed strapped into a Hamax Siesta....
  • clarkey cat
    Thanks Gussio - its an expensive business this cycling lark. New carbon bike on hold for a few more weeks then.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Mr Cat, without wishing to cast any aspersions I might suggest that a lightweight race-wheel like an Aksium might not be the best choice for a bike that's used for load-carrying (whether the load is the rider, his family, luggage or all three... :-) ).

Maybe a sturdier setup would be appropriate for day-to-day use, with the lightweight kit being used for weekend recreational jaunts? If you were advised to get a race-bike for use with a child seat then I fear you were badly advised. Race bikes arn't exactly fragile, but they aren't designed for load-lugging, and it sounds as if you may be lugging a bit of a load...
    I guess if this highlights a requirement for another bike then you could argue it's expensive, but if the original had been a better match for the use you now have it wouldn't have needed replacing... Hope this doesn't sound like I'm having a go at you, I think it's likely that your needs have changed or that you were badly advised... maybe you were sold a Coupe when what you needed was an Estate!

Cheers,
    W.
  • clarkey cat
    Hi there WGW. I have a Condor Fratello which I got as it should be able to do all I want with it - a long commute, club runs, sportives and taking the wee fella on the back but reckon I'll need a sturdier back wheel for when taking the chap out and commuting and then pop the aksium on when wanting to pick up the pace a bit or just keep the heavy wheel on and MTFU. Just had a quote for a wheel-build with open pro 32, alpine spokes and a centaur hub for £150.
  • wgwarburton
    Hi there WGW. I have a Condor Fratello which I got as it should be able to do all I want with it - a long commute, club runs, sportives and taking the wee fella on the back but reckon I'll need a sturdier back wheel for when taking the chap out and commuting and then pop the aksium on when wanting to pick up the pace a bit or just keep the heavy wheel on and MTFU. Just had a quote for a wheel-build with open pro 32, alpine spokes and a centaur hub for £150.

Sounds like a plan. I'd go for the extra four spokes, though, and make it a 36-spoke wheel: Given that you're opting for two, here (one lightweight and the other sturdy), instead of compromising, I reckon you may as well. The weight difference isn't huge and it gives you a bit more margin for error.
    The wee fella's not going to get any wee-er, even if you might!

Nice bike, BTW. More like an M5 estate, than a dodgy coupe... With lo-pros for track days :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • clarkey cat
    Thanks - I do love it - and the missus wouldn't let me get an M5 Estate so we compromised by getting a Skoda estate and I got a new bike!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    +1 for the 36 spokes :D
  • clarkey cat
    That pushes the price up to £175, plus whatever a new tyre will cost.

Yep, that carbon won't be happening any time soon.
  • wgwarburton
    That pushes the price up to £175, plus whatever a new tyre will cost.
    Have you factored in the extra cassette? I'm thinking it'll be wider range, for the loadlugger, and you'll run a corncob on the lightweight version....
    Yep, that carbon won't be happening any time soon.
    You bought a do-it-all bike, so you wouldn't need it anyway... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • clarkey cat
    You bought a do-it-all bike, so you wouldn't need it anyway...

Is your name Emma by any chance?
    Sounds very much like the kind of thing she says.