Not the usual monkey bum!

Tutterz
Tutterz Posts: 27
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
I've been riding nearly 2 months now after a 3/4 year break and surely and slowly i'm getting used to it again, getting fitter, more confident, riding faster and harder each time i go out.
When i first got back into it i ended up with the usual monkey bum, pain from my sit bones getting used to being sat on a saddle again which i've now got used to and don't suffer from anymore, but the past 2 weeks i've developed a problem which keeps getting worse to the point today the pain was almost unbearable. The pain i'm suffering from is located on my coccyx (tailbone) or at least feels like it's in that general area.
Now i've had no falls or bashes on my tailbone since i was 14 (i'm 20 now) and i've rode bikes since then with no problems so I can rule out pain being caused from injury, the only other thing I could think of is having my seat badly adjusted, when I first got my bike the nose of the saddle was slightly angled down which i found uncomfortable but rode it for some time like that to see if i adjusted and got used to it, i didn't so i then angled my seat with a slight raise at the nose (how i used to have my seats on old bikes) and found it much comfier but 2 rides after pain in my tail bone started, i initially thought that was the cause so i got anal with adjusting (hehe) and actually used a spirit level to get my seat flat :P, and ive rode it 3-4 times since like that , and my tail bone pain is just getting worse! I've actually noticed it hurts more sitting back down after being stood up for a while.
I would put it down to the saddle (charge spoon) but it wasn't causing any problems the first time round so i cant understand how it could now?

Any input or advice or tips on how to correctly adjust my seat (i'm 6ft 3, 252 lbs, 20 years old - if that makes any difference to saddle set up) or has anyone ever experienced this before/could point me into the direction of someone who has/knows anything about it?

One last thing to add, the longest rides i've done since being back are around the 17/18 mile mark and today i only rode 12.5 miles so i don't think distance is a factor!

Comments

• TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Does your bike have suspension? When you level the saddle do you make sure to do so with the suspension at it's sagged position as if you were seated?

I actually get coccyx pain occasionally, and it's nothing to do with cycling for me, bad posture sitting on office chairs (slouching)!
    "Coming through..."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's weird, mine is nowhere near the saddle when I ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tutterz
    Tutterz Posts: 27
    I do have full sus yes, the bikes a specialized pitch!
    i think i might have to get someone to give me a helping hand to adjust the seat taking sag into account!

Mine isn't either cooldad which is why i'm so confused as to why i'm getting pain there
  • skaffen
    skaffen Posts: 72
    Tutterz wrote:
    Mine isn't either cooldad which is why i'm so confused as to why i'm getting pain there

You can get referred pain really easily which can throw you as to what's causing it. About three years ago I got a new car and about the same time started getting terrible pain in a place that men are supposed to be very wary of getting pains. Felt like I'd been kicked hard between the legs at times. After a rather embarrassing check at the Doctor's, he suggested adjusting the lumber support in the car; which sorted it in a day or two. The Doctor said it's quite common for pressure in one area to cause pain where you wouldn't necessarily expect it. It could be the saddle causing pressure somewhere, but equally it could be that your position on the bike is bending your back in a way that's compressing a nerve, so I'd try adjusting not just the seat, but it may be worth looking at your general riding position (ie. handlebars, stem length etc.) as well.