disc rubbing after changing wheel

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
the freehub has broken on my wheel so i swapped it with the one off my hardtail.

so, same 160mm disc, both shimano hubs, but the wheel will only spin for about 1 and a half turns before stopping cos the disc is rubbing so much.

the brakes are elixr 5's, shouldn't they automatically adjust to the new disc? or do i have to take the wheel out and push the pads back so the pistons retract a bit?

thanks

kev

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The new wheel's rotor may not be in exactly the same position as the old one's

Just reset/recentre the caliper, you shouldn't have to reset the pads
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • welshkev
    i looked at the caliper and the pads are touching the disc both sides :?
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    You have realigned the caliper haven't you?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • welshkev
    captainfly wrote:
    You have realigned the caliper haven't you?

like i said above..it didn't make any difference..it's touching the disc both sides so realigning it makes no difference :?
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    edited July 2011
    welshkev wrote:

They will do if the angle of the caliper is wrong, but you can always use the pad spreader that came with the brakes to push the pads and pistons back a bit, or pull the pads and use a bleeding block or wedge to open the pistons up.

Previouspost was written whist first reply was sent :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    welshkev wrote:
    If you're using exactly the same rotor as the was on the old wheel and the pads are in contact with the rotor and the caliper has been re-centred then something has happened to cause this (brake lever depressed whilst wheel is out?)

reset the pistons and see what happens
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • welshkev
    cool, cheers guys i thought i could just push them back a bit.

the lever wasn't depressed while the wheel is out and i've just checked and it's not exactly the same rotor..both avid but they're different.

i'll use the pad spreder things that came with the brakes :D

thanks again, i'll also double check the caliper alignment again :D
  • welshkev
    just wanted to say cheers guys, pushed the pads back with the pad spreader and centred the caliper and all's good.....simple i know but i always break things so i thought it best to ask first :lol: