Which bike for a 12k commute with 300m 10pc climb.

GenevaCamper
GenevaCamper Posts: 33
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Currently using my carbon fibre road bike but worried it is going to get trashed as it seems to rain every time I get on it.

Toying with the idea of getting a cycle cross bike so I can put more sensible tires on it in winter (maybe studded).

Don't fanc grinding up the hill on anything heavy though - feels hard/slow enough on my 8kg bike as it its.

Any thoughts? Security not an issue as can keep it in the office.

Comments

• Either a cross bike or an alloy road bike with mud guard clearance? Race blades, if you have room for them?
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Boardman Hybrid. Love mine and took 10 mins off the journey time of a Trek 7.2fx. Fitted Conti Gator Hardshells and will get some clipless pedals. Job done.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Well carbon fibre doesn't rust so as long as you keep it lubricated, you'll be fine - no difference there regardless of frame material.

I'm thinking about a CX bike for the winter though if it'll take a spiked tyre as it's hard work on a full MTB with full Ice Spikers
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • benvickery
    benvickery Posts: 124
    I'm in the same situation and I just can't make my mind up!!

I've looked at cx bikes but was convinced that they wouldn't be great for commuting. I then looked at tourers but they are really heavy, so wouldn't be best for the commute either. Most recently I've been looking at a Genesis Equilibrium 10 which seems to tick a lot of boxes. I want mudguards for the winter, a rack for the commute and potentially the strength for a bit of touring as well.

I did a 300k audax earlier this month and so I'd also like something a bit more comfortable than my carbon road bike for when I'm brave (mad) enough to do one of those again.

FCN : 4
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Condor Fratello. The perfect commuting machine.
  • This looks like it could be interesting:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_pro.html

Tried the route a few times on my old alu frame racer but felt pretty hard going compared to my nice bike - maybe main difference was the wheels (PX B vs Zondas).
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    This looks like it could be interesting:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_pro.html

Tried the route a few times on my old alu frame racer but felt pretty hard going compared to my nice bike - maybe main difference was the wheels (PX B vs Zondas).

No available in the UK, the only one you can get is the Team. SRAM Apex, 10 speed, Compact, 11-32 at the rear, disk brakes, £809 at the moment
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    I suggest that you build a bike around a Kinesis Racelight TK2 frame/fork.
    Quite frankly it's not far off in comfort from a mid range carbon bike (focus cayo, cube agree etc), not much heavier, takes mudguards with 25c tyres easy.

Has a racy geometry though so you might want to consider that (compared to sportive oriented frames like spesh roubaix, giant defy, cannondale synapse etc).