fork bolt replacements? bits gone walkies or squat 'safely'!

bushu
bushu Posts: 711
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Well i rode my goose all over north yorks yesterday but on the way home from work today i notice the forks are extending a bit much to say im only dropping curbs..
only forgot to replace the bolts from the end of my forks only suntour duro are these replaceable?
cos if its a new fork job i'm giving this up as a bad job no matter how nice it feels to ride I'm not pouring more money into this lame old horse when i should have just gone and bought a new bike and be ignorant to all this fettling malarkey
soo pissed off with myself as i organised all the bits barring the forks as i forgot i tried to tamper but left the bolts off for a retry if possible

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cool it on the crack and type slowly.
    You forgot to replace some bolts?
    So presumably they are still lying around wherever you were working?
    Find them, put them in and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bushu
    lol just getting fed up with it, i thought i finally had it rebuilt..

turned the house upside down looking for them,
    no chance of a replacement from a shop?
  • bushu
    btw great advice as usual.. yes you are rude, i doubt anyone on here takes crack so thats uncalled for
  • cooldad
    I thought forum members favourite pastimes included limes, string, liver crack and hookers in ditches with their heads on backwards, but suppose that's only allowed in Crudcatcher so apologies for posting such stuff in serious forum, to make up:

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/

Pretty good website, includes UK service centres, tech docs etc.

Sure you will get replacements or sizes from there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bushu
    thats the spirit... thanks, yeh I've even had a look up the street as I went round north yorks without noticing till i got a bit hexcited ont' way home from work

don't want to go back to my sis' road bike, am I okay riding this thing steady on road until i get replacements?

the site just shows that its the main fixing bolt, might try email a few shops tomorrow
  • Go to a LBS and let them see what you have. They might find something in the parts bin that will suit.
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't. If you die I won't be able to be rude again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bushu
    +1 banana for the monkey, grand idea ta.
    I knew this was the place for informative help on bikes
    I'll nip in there after work probably try sell me something shiney but I hear biscuits help..

I'll see you in the crud' once i know my bikes, only just realised how much i enjoy cycling even though i've pootled about for years not knowing even how to service one -could change a tube obviously

want to invest in a new hardtail once i know what I'm doing
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try Greyville Enterprises.
  • bushu
    nothing to fix it in the shop, they are contacting greyville tomorrow also
    this saves me beggin non trade sales i guess

saw a nice moda & a Ghost 5000, something to think about with the On-one Inbred or a whippet need to think more about my riding style and maybe use my 'goose hack for heavy off-roading only o decisions decisions..

just twigged i should have tried halfords too -doh!
  • bushu
    Greyville were great but i've had to cancel my parts order as i've just wrote the forks off

ya live n ya learn eh.. went onto path to clear another cyclist on the a63 then dropped the curb and my forks kept travelling forwards :lol:

the guy stopped and tried to jigsaw my duro's back together so i could roll home bless, shame they were too mangled

couple of cuts here n there, mostly my pride & shock that i've no push iron AGAIN!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you were riding it without the bolts?

:oops:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bushu
    hell yeh, I'd been up in north yorks without noticing i thought work & back would be a doddle...

genius i know.. I'd only ordered the bolts 15 mins earlier lol but i got giddy when i finished work
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I still don't see how you thought that riding forks without the bolts in holding the damn things together was safe!

d0cdc180_EpicFacePalm.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    I wouldn't. If you die I won't be able to be rude again.
    I'm not the sort of person to say told you so...
    So were you after a Darwin award?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bushu
    nobody said it was safe but i thought id give it a go anyway
    seeing as all we have to look forward to is rude trolls anywho :lol:

It was okay on the road i just got carried away riding home having just found that greyville would do non trade for bits like this they were great too when i thought i should cancel before they post..
    unlike my lbs which i think has its own masonic lodge right up the guys ass rather throw my money at halfords

anyway I'm off to ogle some on-one/cube bikes oh and nugget protectors!