Why does this website repost old content taken from others?

jennix
jennix Posts: 3
I realize that your posts always have references to the authors and websites from whom the posts on your website are lifted, but it's frustrating to see you reposting other's work in it's entirety.

Not to mention that you're posting reviews for companies that are bankrupted (RaceFace?)....

Seriously, you guys are scraping content from all over the web, and the only new content on this website is in these forums. What gives? Did you think we wouldn't notice?

Comments

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Which posts?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • jennix
    jennix Posts: 3
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-11-44938

... was what made me ask, but practically everything i read on your RSS seems to be a reprint from somewhere else, magazines, websites... I'm just wondering what your SOP is. For all we know you're working for/with these entities, but it just isn't clear. And, the daily onslaught of RSS items in your feed suggests that either you've got a Murdoch-like budget to pay writers, they're writing for free, or you're just reposting.

I'm impressed that your moderators do read posts, so i'll rescind the accusatory tone from my first post. Apologies all around.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    This website is owned by Future Publishing, who publish What Mountain Bike, MBUK, Cycling Plus and ProCycling. It also owns the Cycling News and Bikely websites (have I missed anything?)

The reviews of kit from companies who are out of business is still potentially very valuable information. Say you want to buy something second hand, for example, and want to know how good it is. If the reviews are online, you can easily take a look what experienced riders think of them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to add to the above.

RF are no longer out of business. Also the distributors may also have plenty of stock to sell so the fact that the maker may be having issues has very little to do with anything.
    Product is still out there for buying and using.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    whyamihere wrote:
    This website is owned by Future Publishing, who publish What Mountain Bike, MBUK, Cycling Plus and ProCycling. It also owns the Cycling News and Bikely websites (have I missed anything?)
    Triathlon Plus and Triradar.com :D

We do own (or have the rights to) all the content we post and we do share across all titles as original content is expensive to produce. The mags are mostly UK based and don't publish much of their own content online, whereas BikeRadar and Cyclingnews are global so we're able to publish everything to a much wider audience.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports