Wheel not running straight

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had to change a buckled wheel on my bike, the wheel never ran truly straight. I've bought a new rim and transfered the freewheel and braking disk to my new rim. When I've fitted it, this wheel has a wobble when I spin it too! I haven't changed the freewheel, could that cause the wheel not to run staight? The only other thing I can think of is the wheel isn't balanced but for the amount of wobble I'd be surprised if that was the issue.

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jefflad wrote:
    I have had to change a buckled wheel on my bike, the wheel never ran truly straight. I've bought a new rim and transfered the freewheel and braking disk to my new rim. When I've fitted it, this wheel has a wobble when I spin it too! I haven't changed the freewheel, could that cause the wheel not to run staight? The only other thing I can think of is the wheel isn't balanced but for the amount of wobble I'd be surprised if that was the issue.

Any ideas?

sorry you have done what?

you bought a rim or a wheel?

and what are the parts and who did what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jefflad
    Sorry, a new wheel :-)

Moved old freewheel, braking disk and tyre.

Hope that clears it up.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sure it's not the tyre?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jefflad
    That's a very good point, I think I've ruled that out but may take the tyre off to be 100% sure.
  • jefflad
    Just checked the wheel, and it's the wheel! mental note; check wheel before working on it, thought I did to be honest... come to think of it could it be because I inflated the tyre to 80psi (the max for the tyre)??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jefflad
    thanks...
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    What wheel is it? factory or custom build? How are you checking for true?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Sure you are getting it mounted equally and fully in the frame?
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!