SPD adapters for road shoes

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
So I now have carbon-soled stiff-ass shiny white road shoes with a three-screw fitting. I also have a virtually new pair of A600 SPD pedals that I bought before getting the new shoes. The pedals are pretty nice and are lighter than comparably-priced road pedals, plus I can use them with my existing SPD shoes in case (like today) I want to commute in on the best bike but use my MTB shoes as not to wear out cleats touching down at traffic lights etc and be able to easily climb the stairs/walk around in the office until I get to change shoes. I've seen some three-to-two hole adapters for around £15 that would let me add SPD cleats to my road shoes and I'm wondering if anyone's tried these and if there are any disadvantages to them?

Do I:
  1. Sell the pedals and buy some road pedals instead. I'd lose the ability to switch shoes/bikes as easily but will (may?) benefit from better platform on the road pedals
  2. Get some adapters to let me use the SPD pedals with the road shoes
  3. Something completely different
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Having tried it, I would not advise the "mix and match" approach

While you can get the adapters, you get a big increase in stack height and you get nowhere near the same size platform as a road pedal, so you lose some of the benefits you gain from having the road shoes. Also, unless you get the SPD-R cleats, they are a nightmare to walk in (even worse than road cleats)

Personally I am MTB shoes (still carbon-reinforced sole) and SPD pedals on the commuter and Speedplay and Road Shoes on the best bike and only maybe once a year wish I could switch around but YMMV