Resurecting an abandoned bike

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
A friend has moved into a house and there is a BSO locked to a tree. The bike was only locked with a D-Lock by the front wheel, so the rest of the bike is easily removed (a borrowed angle grinder should take care of the lock and free the front wheel eventually).

The BSO has been there for at least a year and completely left open to the elements. What does the hive mind think needs to be done to it to get it ridable (considering its a BSO) for a 2 mile flat commute?

I'm thinking strip and regrease the hubs and BB and maybe replace the cables. Other than a general clean and service is there anything I should look out for? Ideally the budget is £0 .

This could eventually lead to a new cycle commuter on the roads of London (hopefully riding a bike rather than a BSO).
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    If it moves clean it, de-rust it, grease it and reassemble it. As it's a BSO the odds are that there will be little or no wear to worry about.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    aye it should be reet

i woudl have thought only cables would be seized aswell as chain etc

replace cables an soak chain the chain over night an some cheap car oil it should be fine an good to go

BSO are generally simple creatures
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I bought a BSO (Townsend) that had been kpet outside (£5.50 off ebay) been a excellent pub bike and used by the lad to get into town to catch a bus for the last 2 months, just needs regular TLC (more than my commuter) and its fine, upgraded the hopeless canti's to V's while I was at it.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Oh yeah, even without the front wheel, it weighs a ton. Its on knobblies too (natch) so I don't think any speed records will be broken (other than the 'slowest time to ride two flat miles' record).

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    My upstairs neighbour had her bike in the basement flat guy's shed, however she moved to Bristol, leaving the bike behind. He removed the bike from his she and dumped it at the end of our large communal garden and it has now literally been absorbed into the undergrowth - the bindweed and ivy have taken it.... I keep meaning to rescue it and do it up. It's an entire MTB type BSO, nothing missing and was in relatively good condition before it got left in the garden, she had barely used it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Sounds like that a little elbow grease and MTFU will turn it into a pub bike or a spare for when the other Mr HH wants to go for a ride in the country (stop sniggering at the back).

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I was at the tip at the weekend, dropping off some garden waste when a guy appeared with an Islabike like this. Frame, wheels, tyres all looked solid, the twist shifter had taken a beating, the chain was rusty and a few cables had broken. Instead of ending up in the tip it ended up in our car as my new restoration project. By the time one of the kids is old enough to ride it I might have fixed it up!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • For a BSO, I'd consider fettling it I could get it up and running in less that a couple of hours at a cost of no more than about £10. Otherwise scrap it and look to pick something better off ebay etc.

An Islabike is a different propersition entirely and is well worth investing some time and money on.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    What does BSO mean..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    bicycle shaped object
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Thank you kindly
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The townsend is a BSO (BMX bottom bracket for cheapness) but weighs less than the lads Spesh P1 MTB at 29lbs. I've fitted an old slick to it and a worn right out to slick status knobbly as well, rides OK.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I was at the tip at the weekend, dropping off some garden waste when a guy appeared with an Islabike like this. Frame, wheels, tyres all looked solid, the twist shifter had taken a beating, the chain was rusty and a few cables had broken. Instead of ending up in the tip it ended up in our car as my new restoration project. By the time one of the kids is old enough to ride it I might have fixed it up!

So jealous. I once got shouted at for trying to remove an old wine box from our tip / recycling centre :( I guess the guys that work there keep the good stuff to sell and supplement their income. Not that this was good stuff. It was a box.
  • EKE_38BPM
    That is a brilliant link. But as the bike is already in existence, is for a short commute and the current available budget for cycling is £0, I'm still going to fettle it to get it back into use.
    If the use of this BSO leads to an interest in getting a new bike, I will be sure to show my friend the link and use it to reinforce why BSOs are bad (mmmkay?) and steer them towards a real bike.

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    One thing I would say is to check any dumped bike very carefully for frame cracks, there may be a reason it's no longer in use.

So far as I'm aware our local dumps save any bike bits and give them to a local charity which teaches the unemployed how to refurbish them. They sell them on for about 60 quid or less if you're as student / on benefits but they guarantee the bike is safe.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I bought my little one a Spiderman bike second hand from a local shop and it's heavier than mine. Actually he's fine with it as it has Spiderman on it, but come Christmas he's going to get a proper bike from a reputable company like Islabikes.
  • @ EKE. Your efforts to attract converts to cycling are commendable, and I like to fettle as much as the next man, but working on a BSO can be a frustrating experience - you fix one thing then something else breaks, you try to tighten something and it shears or bends. After hours of work you finally get it roadworthy, then find it is a pretty unpleasant ride ........ until it breaks again.

Personally I'd rather buy an old hardtail that would have cost £400-£500 15 years ago, for maybe £40-£50 (or less), enjoy working on it, and finish up with something that is nice to ride and requires little on-going maintenance.

Having seen the excellent work you recently did breathing life back into the mixte, it will be interesting to read you conclusions after your time with the BSO. My guess is that it is just a matter of time before you put it out of its misery.

Like Joelsim, I got a second hand (Apollo) BSO for my son who has just turned 6. It has got badly scratched from attaching the trailgator, and from his 'learning to ride falls'. I'm now looking for a quality bike (Islabike, Kids Cube or equivalent) which I'm sure he will now appreciate.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hey eke before you start any new projects have you fixed your own erm bodges?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • unixnerd
    Same here, I got a kids Apollo for 12 quid on ebay and it must weigh about the same as my road bike! My nephew only comes up to see us for the odd weekend but he's 7 and nobody at home is teaching him how to ride a bike so I thought I'd better do it.
  • itboffin
    unixnerd wrote:
    Same here, I got a kids Apollo for 12 quid on ebay and it must weigh about the same as my road bike! My nephew only comes up to see us for the odd weekend but he's 7 and nobody at home is teaching him how to ride a bike so I thought I'd better do it.

You should teach him to swear as well, they'll love that ;-)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • unixnerd
    You should teach him to swear as well, they'll love that

Actually his relatives are all into football big time so I'm teaching him to say that football is for softies and real men go cycling. They'll just love that :twisted:
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    Hey EKE before you start any new projects have you fixed your own erm bodges?

Have a look at the fettling thread.

• itboffin
    unixnerd wrote:
    You should teach him to swear as well, they'll love that

Actually his relatives are all into football big time so I'm teaching him to say that football is for softies and real men go cycling. They'll just love that :twisted:

:lol:
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Hi Elton, do you want my ridgeback omega...its a size small, not sure if its male of female specific
    Its 10 years old but still a good bike...needs some TLC...you can have it for free :)

Here is a random pic from the internets,,mine is in way better condtion than that though...

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... geback.jpg