Ribble new sportive sizing

mowflow
mowflow Posts: 212
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
An appeal to all owners or even anyone who has sat on one.

I'm going to order one but am stuck between the medium 53 and Large 55. I tested a Cube Attempt last week in 56cm and it felt perfect size wise. I've cross referenced the geometry for this with the Sportive and the medium 53 looks closest (1cm longer seat tube, 1 cm longer top tube, 1cm higher head tube and .5 degree smaller head and seat tube angles on the ribble)

Just worried that the general guide on the Ribble site states 5" 6' - 5" 9' for the medium and I'm 6". I do however have a short back so reach is always an issue.

Comments

• shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I bought the old Sportive Racing a couple of weeks ago. One thing I would say is:

I tried for ages to get some help from Ribble but no one would answer emails. In the end I went ahead and used the suggested size in the Bike Builder to make my order. FINALLY got through to Ribble on the phone and they said I had ordered the wrong size frame. I pointed out that I had used their own size guide and he said 'yeah that's not right'.

I'd 100% speak to them on the phone.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • mowflow
    Yeah, I'm going to call them this afternoon.

So how was the size guide wrong? Did you have to order up or down from their estimation?
  • mowflow
    Spoke to them on the phone and the guy just said to get the medium.

Well he didn't really say "get the medium" I said that the medium sounded quite big and I had a short reach although I was 6" did he think that medium would be the right size and he grunted a kind of "yeah" noise.

If in doubt I might just go for the large Gran Fondo which has very similar dimensions.
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I'm 5'9 and thought I'd need an S but turns out I needed an M.

Just had a pro bike fit and the M is deffo right for me.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    Bought the Banco the other week and got the 55cm, fits good. Only 5,11 but have quite a reach but smaller legs. Suppose I got lucky!
  • mowflow
    I'm seriously confused on the size front now. The old sportives are a little smaller in every dimension than the comparable size on the new ones. There's a 6" 3' guy in the "Your Road Bikes" section with an XL with a massive amount of seat tube showing. Could someone 3inches taller really be 2 sizes above? The large Gran Fondo is looking safer by the minute.