Looking for a club/ training partner

loukir
loukir Posts: 65
I have recently completed my first sportive, and despite it almost killing me I am keen for more! One thing which became very apparent was just how tough it was doing the ride on my own, something I'd not reallyconsidered on previous training rides.
I am looking for find a club/ partner who would help me force the pace and help me improve fitness and all round skill.
There are 2 clubs around me but I'm slightly intimidated about joining up and being left miles behind...... How fast/ slow do group rides go?
I live just outside hamble in southampton so looking for anything/ anyone around that area.

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    all the clubs rides have been slow Sub 18mph and they were happy to wait for the slowest person so i wouldn't worry and just go along on the club runs and see what club you prefer
  • loukir
    loukir Posts: 65
    Thats excellent thanks. Perhaps it is the image of a whole load of racers flying into the distance which puts me off!!
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    most clubs will let you go on the training rides before you join and the larger clubs will have more that one group so you can pick one to suit
    oh and remember it's easier to ride in a group than on your own :D
  • HI Louky,

I'm really into my sportives and found that my local clubs hads no interest in that direction , so i had a look at i-team which has the majority of its members in the portsmouth area.

After seeing that they had a thriving Sportive section (18 finishers in this years marmotte) turning out large numbers in most of the southern sportives , i decided to join.

Turns out a good move as they have a very active forum, with details on forthcoming races , local rides , sportive reports , general banter etc....and we are now trying to set up a dorset / west hants hub with the hope of setting up a regular club run over rthis way (probably Burley or brockenhurst ).

take a look and if you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you a call.

http://www.i-team.co.uk/

Cheers

Steve